Disabling Foreign Characters in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Ever since I installed the Japanese character set into Windows, some programs (like Nero and SoundMax) have suddenly changed to Japanese text and I can't find a way to change it back. Even if I uninstall and reinstall, the text in the installation appears as Japanese. It's like it's detecting something in my PC and changing the language, except that Japanese was never set to be the default anywhere.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I used Korean once, and to change everything back I simply went into Control Panel>Regional and Language Options. Not sure if that will help your specific problem though.

Reactions: vdd
Salgat said:
I used Korean once, and to change everything back I simply went into Control Panel>Regional and Language Options. Not sure if that will help your specific problem though.

I figured it out. It seems when I installed the Japanese character set I also set the PC to interpret non-unicode characters as Japanese which would make some programs default to japanese text. I changed to English under Language And Regional settings and it fixe dit.

Was the documentation in the same language? To quote Matthew Wilder's album ( remember those LPs?),"I Don't Speak the Language".

Was the documentation in the same language? To quote Matthew Wilder's album ( remember those LPs?),"I Don't Speak the Language".

Documentaiton is for chumps. But no, documentation it was in English. It seems some parts of various programs like the text in the installation and other parts of the program are classified differently and "lock on" to the Language you have chosen to display unicode text as and translates it as such, and in some cases there is no way to change it short of a reinstall with a different language setting for the unicode characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…