disco light modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

steaksandwich21

my dad has a NJD Euro 4E light controller, but he thinks that the lights change too suddenly.
is there a circuit that I can build that will soften the change.

I considered a capacitor charging and discharging, and also a transistor, but i have no idea how to implement the ideas.

thanks in advance
steve

For a start you need the circuit diagram of the existing unit, without it you're really stuffed!. Their website is at , and has an option to ask for a circuit to be emailed to you.

You might also consider entering your location in your profile?, so we know what country you are in!.

ok so ive got the schematic.
lights are controlled by an IC, through a resistor, led, triac, fuse then to the output.
IC is a PIC16C55RC.
what should i do now

steaksandwich21 said:
ok so ive got the schematic.
lights are controlled by an IC, through a resistor, led, triac, fuse then to the output.
IC is a PIC16C55RC.
what should i do now

The IC is an OTP PIC (One Time Programmable), and it will almost certainly be code protected in order to prevent you copying it.

I suggest your only option is probably to create yourself a new PIC from scratch, programmed to do as you want.

BTW, either post the circuit as an attachment here, or email it to me (address on my link below), and I'll see if I can make any suggestions.

after talking with my dad, we've decided that the best option would be to add a circuit onto the output section of the original circuit, as this wouldnt void any warrenty.
Failing that, possibly modifying the original circuit, but as the cicuit is on a pcb that would be risky.
Lastly, programming a new chip. But with this option I would require help, as have no experience programming chips.

I don't really think you could alter anything much?, except replacing the PIC, and you would have to write all the code from scratch. But at least with the circuit you know what's going where, such as the four channel outputs, input from the sound inout, zero-crossing detection etc. However, it's NOT a trivial thing to do.

steaksandwich21 said:
so that means that there isnt an easy circuit that takes a step input and curves the transition?
thanks for all the help btw

No, it sounds like you're wanting the lamps to fade ON and OFF, rather than just switch, this requires phase control of the triacs instead of simple zero-crossing switching. You would also have to add considerable filtering to stop the interference it generates (I notice there's none shown on the circuit).

how would i implement that ?
also, i dont mind if the LED's still switch, as long as the output has a fade, or the step output goes to a different circuit that produces a fading output.

steaksandwich21 said:
how would i implement that ?
also, i dont mind if the LED's still switch, as long as the output has a fade, or the step output goes to a different circuit that produces a fading output.

Basically you design a completely different unit - and it would cost considerably more due to the large filtering components required.

just thinking more about it today.
could i take the output from the chip dictating whether the light is on of off, and use that to control another circuit for a fading effect (one for each light), possibly using opamps(integrate function) or a circuit to dampen the change??

also why is all the filtering necessary?

in fact, could i use the output of the chip to switch a relay(or equivalent) causing the fading circuit to be used, so that when the output is high, the light fades in, and a low output fades out (using 4 identical circuits) causing more than one light to be one at once.
sorry to go on about this, but i feel like we're close

also, my dad seems to think that putting a capacitor across the triac would cause the lights to fade out also. any opinions on this(ie would it work)

No disrespect to your dad!, but if he knows so much why doesn't he do it?.

Triacs can't 'fade on', they are either ON or OFF, to do brightness changes you alter the point in the mains cycle when you turn them ON. This rapid switching action causes masses of harmonics, and huge interference both back down the mains and radiated through the air. This requires large expensive filtering to reduce to manageable levels - doing simple zero-crossing switching obviates this requirement (which is why your light unit does it that way!).

i think its a case of not wanting to wreck the unit we have.
thanks for all the help btw, but i dont have the experience to program a new chip, or redesign the entire circuit yet (but i am doing electronic engineering at reading uni so will do soon).
i think we'l take the output of the chip, and use that to control a second circuit specifically designed for fading mains lights.
thanks again
stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…