Don't Understand This Phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonsc

Just asking about something I read from a datasheet

I found MAX643 IC, which can be used to boost a DC level to 15V. However, it states that "Fixed Output 10W CMOS Step-Up Switching Regulator". Need help, mind explaining the term "Fixed Output 10W"?

Does it mean that implementing this IC will dissipate a total amount 10W?
Sorry for my nonsense.

Thanks in advance.

Without looking at the datasheet, I 'presume' it means it's a fixed voltage regulator with an output of 15V. Just like a 7805 has a fixed output of 5V, or a 7812 has a fixed output of 12V.

Fixed output mean the 15V.
Total power 10W.
With the switching method the dissipation extremly low, so the efficiency high.

"Fixed Output 10W CMOS Step-Up Switching Regulator"

Without looking at the datasheet, I 'presume' it means it's a fixed voltage regulator with an output of 15V. Just like a 7805 has a fixed output of 5V, or a 7812 has a fixed output of 12V.

Thanks a lot but I'm still blur on what does the 10W indicates :?

Fixed output mean the 15V.
Total power 10W.
With the switching method the dissipation extremly low, so the efficiency high.

Total power 10W: Does it mean that this is the operating power? It will need 10W to operate? That much? :?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• max643.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 773
the datasheet is 13.5MB :shock: so i didnt bother to download it :lol:

anyway thanx for including a part of the datasheet.

the fixed output 10W means that this regulator has a fixed output (5V, 12V and 15V) with a maximum of 10W. and it also states that the power ranges from 5mW to 10W.

the power drawn depends on the load and not on the regulator. the regulator will determine the maximum power that can be drawn from it. but it wont compell the load to draw the maximum power rated

i hope that helps

Does it mean the following?

P = IV
10 = I (15)
I = 0.666A

If my load requires 15V then the drawn current must not exceed 0.666A to not spoil the regulator?

devonsc said:
Does it mean the following?

P = IV
10 = I (15)
I = 0.666A

If my load requires 15V then the drawn current must not exceed 0.666A to not spoil the regulator?

Yes, but most switchmode IC's are designed with current overload protection included - although it's up to YOU to implement it!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…