Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Down Goes Frazier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
A sport icon of my youth. The forgotten half of the fight of the century. I'll never forget his heart and courage. RIP, Joe.

Yes, still I remember watching in B/W 70's fight from Zaire.
RIP.

Down, but not forgotten, fair winds Smokin Joe.

Sad hey. Smokin Joe was one lean fighting machine.

Last edited:
Why must color matter?

i watched the origanal thriller in manilla as a kid and just watched it on vid again. even after all theese years that surely has to be one the most captivating fights ever. he lost by seconds apparently as ali was about to throw the towel!! this i never knew untill tonight when it was mentioned on the news program.
i kinda miss the old fights of 13 rounds full on blood sport no stopage just because theres a bit of blood. sure ok people die or get serious injury in a sport like that but that, but to me they were more exciting, i am off to watch it again :D:D
oh and as for race........i can see the sentiment that was meant by the comment but this probaly not the time or post to have made it, just my opinion

Great man and boxer, but Foreman was a better puncher.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

For some reason, Joe couldn't stand up to Forman's power. Now paradoxically, Fraizer fought 3 very close contests with Ali, who in turn easily beat Foreman. Logically, Joe should have been competative with Foreman, but he wasn't. Foreman was the only fighter who could dominate Fraizer and make him look bad. Remember also, Fraizer was only about 5'10" and 205lb in his prime. Also remember, Foreman came up fighting tomato cans, while Fraizer was fighting ligitimate contenders. In Fraizer's autobiography, he called Foreman "uncommonly strong."

Those are wonderful pictures, BTW.

Last edited:
I think it was his in your face fighting style that did him in with Foreman. He would stand right in the power punch zone and just take brutal punishment during those fights. Ali would just rope-a-dope Foreman until his punching power died.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Joe only had one speed: and that was full-ahead! True Ali could bide his time and let Foreman punch himself out. Did you see the "Rumble in the Jungle?" Ali absorbed tremendous punishmet from Foreman, but waited around until Foreman was punched out, and then unleashed a wicked right that had big George out on his feet. I don't think George had another big fight after that, until that is, when he beat Michael Morrer for the heavyweight title at age 45.

And, it was in the Fraizer/Foreman fight the iconic pharse that is the title for this thread was broadcast.

Last edited:
I remember listening to the Frazier Ali fight on the Stars and Stripes Radio network. I remember so clearly as this is when we were waiting for word from my dad over in Vietnam... Funny how memories work.

P.S. Dad made it home :)

The best heavyweight fight ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
@^^^

Agreed. These days it's all about money.

Those days the guys really fought it out. Minimum money. Raw honest stuff.

Real boxing and not "acting".

What a bunch of woosies the World has now.

Bah :(:(

Good boxing contests are hard to come by, but they still happen. Coming up this weekend is the third of a trilogy between Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. I don't know how good the fight will be, but the first two were sensational fights that came right down to the wire. In the first, Marquez managed to get a draw despite getting knocked down 4 times in the very first round. In the second, the Packman won by a single point. In some of the weight classes, it's nearly as good as it's ever been.

And if you want to see the best 46+ years old fighter ever, check out any of Benard Hopkins' fights. (Not including the last one against Chad Dawson, where Hopkins dislocated his shoulder, but wanted to continue despite not having the use of his left arm)

Both HBO and ESPN have fight nights that feature not-so-well-known and not-so-rich boxers trying to make it up the fame ladder. Here's where you see raw action and little money being in play.

Last edited:
Good boxing contests are hard to come by, but they still happen. Coming up this weekend is the third of a trilogy between Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. I don't know how good the fight will be, but the first two were sensational fights that came right down to the wire. In the first, Marquez managed to get a draw despite getting knocked down 4 times in the very first round. In the second, the Packman won by a single point. In some of the weight classes, it's nearly as good as it's ever been.

And if you want to see the best 46+ years old fighter ever, check out any of Benard Hopkins' fights. (Not including the last one against Chad Dawson, where Hopkins dislocated his shoulder, but wanted to continue despite not having the use of his left arm)

Both HBO and ESPN have fight nights that feature not-so-well-known and not-so-rich boxers trying to make it up the fame ladder. Here's where you see raw action and little money being in play.

Nice BrownOut...still will never be like the old days. True champions slugging it out.
Not what the world has to offer nowdays.....

Hell, how the standards have dropped for everyone.

Man, I miss the days of real, honest competition. Champ vs champ. At the highest level. With minimum reward. I am probably getting old....

Cheers,
TV Tech

Ture champoins still slug it out... Ail & Fraizer were both gaurenteed $1million+ for each of their 3 fights. May be modest by today's standards, but I wouldn't call it minimum reward. Unless you consider what they left in the ring, and what fighters still leave...

If you think boxing isn't barbaric enough, consider what happened to Meldric Taylor on March 17, 1990,

There is also widespread[citation needed] belief that Taylor was essentially 'ruined'[citation needed] as a fighter because of this bout—due in part to the tremendous punishment taken at the hands of Chavez, including several fractures and some kidney damage (according to the HBO "Legendary Nights" episode mentioned before, he was taken to the hospital immediately after the Chavez bout—reportedly urinating blood.)

Also check out Reddick Bowe, Freddy Roach and others. If you really need to see someone get beaten into oblivion to be entertained, you can still get your freak on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back