Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Draft 1 of Junebug Lesson 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a good read Howard, well written and clear.
May I join in, in the writing? And of course I'd be happy to contribute any drawings etc are yours for the asking.
I use snagit and the schematics can be exported to png or gif.
The 3D drawings can also be exported to png

it takes a bunch of ram and is more complicated than 3dsmax tho

Ok gonna try to make something bbs. Btw I love the tutorial it has a nice in depth feeling makes it more understandable.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Its a good read Howard, well written and clear.
May I join in, in the writing? And of course I'd be happy to contribute any drawings etc are yours for the asking.
I use snagit and the schematics can be exported to png or gif.
The 3D drawings can also be exported to png

Sure, why should I have all the fun. ;)

My main concern is content and clarity but formating could be better. The PDFs are generated by the Open Office Write export to pdf function.

Where would you like to start? I would like to write the next few C lessons. Also cover LEDs, charlieplexing and switches as part of that.

This week I need to write about setting up PWM on the 18F1330 for school next week. I am on spring break for the rest of the week.

Timer Tutorial

Bill,

We could add that timer tutorial that I sent you. I have to clean up a few mistakes in it May have to convert the C from Boostc to C18. I guess it needs to focus ont 1320, although the 877A has lots of value.

:eek:

dude was reading and in tut or pdf 2 you say

We now have all the information we need to setup RA0 and RA5 as a digital IO pin. Because
we do not need any analog pins we make all of port A digital by setting ADCON1 = 0.

but in the table that makes them analog. Check PG 4.
Code:
bit 7 Unimplemented: Read as ‘0’
bit 6 PCFG6: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN6
1 = Pin configured as a digital port
0 = Pin configured as an analog channel – digital input disabled and reads ‘0’
bit 5 PCFG5: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN5
bit 4 PCFG4: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN4
bit 3 PCFG3: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN3
bit 2 PCFG2: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN2
bit 1 PCFG1: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN1
bit 0 PCFG0: A/D Port Configuration bit – AN0

PAGE 5 typo
First we have to setup the correct pins a outputs and then we have to
make these output pins high or low as required by the LED1.

supposed to be "as"

The six LEDs on the Junebug are controlled by 3 IO pins. The method used to accomplish
this is know as charlieplexing

"Known"

Grammer
For now it is enough
to know that to turn on LED1 all port A bits must be inputs but for bit0 and bit5

"For now it is enough
to know that to turn on LED1 all port A bits must be inputs except for bit0 and bit5"

Typo
We we make port A bit0 and bit5 outputs by setting

Has extra "we"

Dont take the above negatively just trying to help the cause

Last edited:
Well spotted AtomSoft. The program will still work as pins setup as analogue inputs still work as digital outputs.

Mike.

I know i tried it lol. I love these tutorials(lessons) thats why im letting him know about it. There are just 2 and its like a tv show ... im wating for a new episode lol

3v0,

Very nice! I read the comments of the other members and understand where they come from with their requests. I have to write a lot of technical manuals for my customer too, and most of the times it's a lot like "monkey see, monkey do" or as I prefer to call it (wording taken from the movie "Scent of a woman") "Talk to me like I'm five years old".

Keep up the good work. (Thumb's-up smiley)

AtomSoft:
Thanks for looking close enough to find the errors. I do appreciate it. Feel free to point out anything. When I write I have to ignore a lot of what you are finding. If I start checking for spelling an grammar the writing slows to where I lose the muse. As a rule I return to a document after a week or so, At that time I can look at it with a critical eye and fix many of the problems.

SPDCHK:
The intended audience is bright young people. So yes, explain it at the 5 year old level and maybe most everyone should get it. The hard part is moving from the ability to get tutorial code working to authoring their own.

3v0 said:
SPDCHK:
The intended audience is bright young people. So yes, explain it at the 5 year old level and maybe most everyone should get it. The hard part is moving from the ability to get tutorial code working to authoring their own.

I agree.. I have always seen code you can copy/paste in tutorials but nothing real to the point of me being able to create my own code from it. Maybe with better explanations like this people like me can create code from scratch instead of always copying from others.

Also NP 3v0 i would love to be a proof reader.. :D Cant wait for the next one

AtomSoft said:
I agree.. I have always seen code you can copy/paste in tutorials but nothing real to the point of me being able to create my own code from it. Maybe with better explanations like this people like me can create code from scratch instead of always copying from others.

Don't worry, with your enthusiasm you will soon get there.

Mike.

A few more typos - JunebugTut1:

Page 1:
Rather than have you hunt

needed information^,^ it has been included here

Page 2:
case when dealing with uC's. Often we will

turn on a single LED^.^

Page 3:
The first few lines are known as comments and

Page 4:
Definition: VARIABLE - Data that changes
(or something similar)

Page 5:
The config settings for this program

Page 6:
There are header files other than processor header files

compiler would generate errors similar to these.

The header files contain a large number

Page 7:
We have compleated the configuration and setup

just for show like if you make a scehmatic in the tutorial maybe we/i can make it a 3d image if you would like...
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I spent the past few days learning a video editor. I opted not to use Movie Maker and went with ULEAD MediaStudio Pro V7. Most of the time went into learning. The first video is not exactly smooth. The title is "Downloading the C18 Toolchain". One of the most difficult part is learning to do narration. You can hide behind text and even the edited video but somehow the vocal leaves one very exposed feeling. I still need to do the install but that should be easier.

I am working with the video because when one starts stepping through code there is zip that works as well as video.

Once I get up to speed my goal is to do a new lesson every two weeks.

I am glad you like the format. :)

Thats way cool about the video's I know what you mean about being exposed too... Are you going to be posting them here or on that site you referenced before??

I just wondering because I am getting my Junebug hopefully this week and really would like to start playing with it. And find that a tutorial that is tailored to that actual unit you are training on to be more benefitial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back