Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

driving inkjet cartridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_imum2000

i am trying to figure out how can i control an hp inkjet cartridge (any model ) using a pic
anyone know any link or information it might help ?
thanks

Why not ask HP/Compaq. They should be most eager to reveal their trade secrets and millions of dollars worth of R&D so you do...what exactly?

Do you care if the cartridge is still in the printer, or is this some kind of yucky ink weapon?

papabravo

you know what i think ?, i think you are so outdated !
if you searched the web you will find more than a dozen of small companies that actually produce devices that test almost all cartridges in the market before they can be refillled , they simply test the circuit and print a solid lines ( and some times a small logo or so) from each color in a small paper rolls
this is not a BIG secret anymore, its just a matter of figuring how it works.

So do it instead of flapping you mouth!

if i could do it easly i wouldnt have asked over here
maybe u could check the video over this link to see how a guy did it
**broken link removed**
so maybe you should shut up and dont reply if you dont have anything to add, and i am sure u dont.

I may be outdated, but I don't see anybody else jumping in with a solution. You're not my father and I see no reason to accede to your request. The issue still is access to accurate and timely information. A video is hardly suitable documentation for approaching the problem. You certainly have a great deal to learn about engineering and reverse engineering. I invite you to follow your own rude advice.

Edit: Thanks for the dead link, it went nowhere

that video is pretty neat ... think of the graffiti applications!

but, the guy is pretty secretive, covering the entire gizmo with his hand... who knows if it's even real, could be a fake somehow.

the print heads are pizeo electric, you'll want to read up on how they operate, and look at the schematics filed with the patent office for some clues as well.

you could visit google... I found this right off the bat:
**broken link removed**

Edit: Thanks for the dead link, it went nowhere
I dunno, the link worked for me. It's kind of a cool - accelerometer being used to determine when to fire the piezos.

I also don't understand why people have to crap on some one's thread. It would be nice to actually read a thread with out that kind of stuff.

philba said:
I dunno, the link worked for me. It's kind of a cool - accelerometer being used to determine when to fire the piezos.

I also don't understand why people have to crap on some one's thread. It would be nice to actually read a thread with out that kind of stuff.
Check back and ask who started it. I gave him a reasonable if improbable suggestion. He was the one that took offense. Can the information be obtained from HP/Compaq or not? If not where did the guys at parallax get clued in. I don't see anybody offering the answers.

first i didnt start anything
i didnt say falp your mouth, prehaps you should check it out
anyway i wont enter a debit of who started what first as if i am 12 years old.

maybe we should leave all that behind

cartridge testers are so common in the inkjet refill industry where i am deep into for 5 years now.

companies like www.cbr-sme.com and www.oliser.com and many many others make these devices where you can place the cartridge and it will print a pattern to see if all nozzles are working or not

offcourse hp or epson wont give you anything and wont even answer anything regarding this, the only case they did this with parallex was for a cartridge that is about 15 years old technology if not more, so they are not really reveling something important.

i was thinking of who can i record signals coming from the printer to the cartridge and save it in some kind of a buffer or so and then resend it again.
reverse enginnering to know everything is ipossible, hp uses their own mcu, and ics, so you dont know actually what is going on.

also the cartridges are mainly resistors network.

i just dont know where to start or what hould i use to monitor all of these pins at the same time and monitor the signals at real time for them all.

if i could "do it" i would nt be here in the first place

also i dont thiink these are piezo electric heads
piezo are used in epson and canon printers.
hp uses thermal resistors for firing the ink

COOL.. I need one to sign my name (signature; built in my credit card with biometrics of course) and a (bigger one) for late at night if I want to climb building or overpass signs and paint my avitar, logo, sign, tag... All joking
of course.

It is neat.. Now. I must say Papbravo did make a good point.. In less words (oh yea, and something about flapping).. If they are all over the Inet and it is not a secret anymore, why have you not figured it out? Do they not publish the code and hardware?

BAD side:
Imagine the people in the office walking around with stuff on the backs of their clothes, their foreheads, etc. On their cars.

Good side:
I would have on all the light switch plates, turn this switch off when you leave the room. On the trash cans, empty if full.. I could label cables.. Put PULL on some doors the people just can not figure out in the office.

I also thought they were all piezo, but never thought hard about it.

Accelerometer would do it. Maybe hack an optical mouse and use that serial data to see if you are moving..

Mousewriter (C) the future P-Touch.. I want a cut of the profits, after we pay HP their part..

Last edited:
Papabravo said:
Check back and ask who started it. I gave him a reasonable if improbable suggestion. He was the one that took offense. Can the information be obtained from HP/Compaq or not? If not where did the guys at parallax get clued in. I don't see anybody offering the answers.

hmmm, I didn't point at anyone and really don't care who started it. thread crapping sucks and I wish people would practice a little restraint. it gets tiresome to read instead of seeing helpful posts.

You call it thread crapping, and I call it a frank and fair exchange of views. max imum200 thinks I'm outdated because I'm not up on his niche industry and I have not searched the web for information on this dubious application. He's is correct, I'll stipulate to that. If he is such an expert, then his original question was like a sucker punch just waiting for a generalist like myself to give him an asnwer he did not want to hear.

Frankly the secrecy surrounding this application is over the top for the utility. This is a public forum and asking a question invites all responders to give their unvarnished advice and opinions. It could hardly be otherwise. If you want companionship and respect -- get a dog!

That is what I meant to say way back but forgot, Parallax has an inkjet robot.

It is in their ads in a few rags. Buy one (the robot) and they will provide all the input you need to take it out of their rollers/bot. Or google for that. Sure they have a website and forum.

Papabravo said:
You call it thread crapping, and I call it a frank and fair exchange of views. max imum200 thinks I'm outdated because I'm not up on his niche industry and I have not searched the web for information on this dubious application. He's is correct, I'll stipulate to that. If he is such an expert, then his original question was like a sucker punch just waiting for a generalist like myself to give him an asnwer he did not want to hear.

Frankly the secrecy surrounding this application is over the top for the utility. This is a public forum and asking a question invites all responders to give their unvarnished advice and opinions. It could hardly be otherwise. If you want companionship and respect -- get a dog!

sheesh. you certainly do enjoy being abrasive. I don't call it frank, I call it rude and unhelpfull. a ludicrous suggestion isn't much more than sarcasm. Is it so hard to believe that he was looking for more expertise than he had? It seems a bit far fetched to think that he was setting some one up. But, you are entitled to your opinion.

max_imum2000 did you find the site and/or answer? Seems HP is not like the others. Like you said.

I guess HP is the Microsoft of inkjet..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back