Dual DC motor speed control with reverse and regenerative braking

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw271

Hi,

I thought I would share the design for a DC motor speed control I built a while back. I use this to power the motors of a small robotics project.

Here are some of the controllers features:
* Efficient PWM H-bridge MOSFET architecture
* Supply (battery) voltage range from 4.2 to 13 volts
* High current capacity for driving large motors (65 amps max)
* Input compatible with standard RC hobby receivers
* Individual control of 2 motors
* Mixing of steering and throttle into "tank like" drive
control
* BEC (battery eliminator circuit)
* Proportional forward and reverse on both motors
* Regenerative breaking

Attached is the circuit schematic.

For more information about the design (pic source code, more photos, etc) go to:

<A HREF="http://lashwhip.com/spdcntrl.html"> **broken link removed** </a>

Enjoy,
-Paul

Attachments

• pic16f876_speed_control.gif
    15 KB · Views: 2,894
Note that if you do go to a single N-FET solution, you will still need a diode in place of the top N-FET. This is a simple solution (1 N-FET and no ADP3417), but due to the 0.6 volt drop on the diode, you will waste some power in the diode.

A slightly more efficient solution (and more complex) is to keep both the high and low N-FET devices and the ADP3417. Now instead of dropping 0.6 volts across a diode in the "off" times, you will pass through the N-FET with very little voltage drop, and thus less wasted power.

If you use the 1/2 bridge solution with 24 volts, the ADP3417 will not work, but you can replace it with an International Rectifier IR2104.

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Would you mind describing the function and efficiency of the regenerative part of this circuit?

Thanks!

Hi ante, long time no see.

Still posting over on the other forum?

Welcome back to the smart arse club.

hello there... i really like this project a lot.. but i have a problem achieving : i ve done all the circuit board assembly but i can t find the approriate remote control for the project.. in other words i live in lebanon and the electronics market here is very little..you can t find all the parts you need..anyway what i am asking for is the name of an appropriate remote control( 2 channels with forward backward variable speed for each channel) so i need the name of the manufacturer and the name of the RC and the name of the appropriate receiver for it ... and please if possible let it be the most cheap but efficace thing ....thank you in advance

Abdul Majeed said:
I think this circuit will work for indction
am i rigt or ???????

Learning about the difference between the different types of AC and DC motors will answer your question. A good place to start with is "are AC motors different from DC motors?"

hello...
i tried to build this project.. but i am having a problem.. i can t find the ADP3417 of any of it equivalents in the local market....i heard paulw271 talking about using an N-FET instead of the ADP3417...
i couldn t find any MOSFET driver but the IR2010... is there anyway to make this circuit work using the IR2010 or anyother thing but not something like the ADP3417 ???
please reply !

Inferno,
Concerning the remote control, go to towerhobbies.com and look for a "radio". Brands like Airtronics, Futaba, or Hitec. I think the IR2010 might work if you use an inverter to drive the LIN from the HIN and tie the SD input high. It looks like the IR2010 would limit your minimum battery supply to 10 volts. It also does not have the nice shoot-through protection, but oh well...

-Paul

Ok..thanks for your help...but the problem is that i am not that electronics experts but i think i understood what i will have to do..and no worries about the 10v minimum battery supply coz i m managing to use a 12 v battery...
so please help me in knowing wich are the correct connections..please look at the jpeg i attached..
i think this should be the equivalence:
ir2010 adp3417

1 -> 5
7 -> 8

and i don t know about the others...i mean i am not sure about them... so if you could help and continue the easy equivalence.... it would be great..and sorry really but i am more into the mechanical benefit of the project... and i am not that electronics expert to know all what you guys know..and please one more thing...an example about the inverter i should use(part name fo find in the electronics shop) and how should i connect it

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 544
pic source code

The link to your website is broken, so i was wondering if you could post the PIC Source Code.

hello
can you help me to perform the circuit which is used to achive the regenerative braking for DC motor using MATLAB or PSCAD
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…