Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earth cable testing with some positive signs??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all yours EG...:)

hi hero,
When I was a young TV service engineer I used a neon screw driver for a number years, it never failed for me and it warned me when I had a live TV or Radio chassis.
I still use a neon screwdriver to check before I touch any any chassis that I am unsure about.

If you take care of your neon screwdriver it a safe piece of kit

Yes, perfectly safe - for a start resistors don't generally go S/C - and certainly not one of that type.

I have this live wire sensor probe that I just hold near the wire and it glows if wire is active

hi hero,
When I was a young TV service engineer I used a neon screw driver for a number years, it never failed for me and it warned me when I had a live TV or Radio chassis.
I still use a neon screwdriver to check before I touch any any chassis that I am unsure about.

If you take care of your neon screwdriver it a safe piece of kit
May be in your day neon screwdrivers were allowed but nowadays they're not - I suggest you check the current safety standards for test equipment.

hi hero,

"My Day", this implies I am 'past it'. :rolleyes: Not just yet, thank you.!

If I know some piece of test gear works reliably I will continue to use it.

If practising experienced engineeers all worked to the letter of the 'current standards', no one would get any work done.

As experienced engineers we learn to use our knowledge and common sense.

Note,
I have said 'experienced engineers' , so any Wanabee or Newbee should follow the regulations to the letter.

How did the PAT course go.?

Maybe you can have this one Eric for your avatar!! Jedi Master!!

Attachments

• imagesCATTVWDL.jpg
    imagesCATTVWDL.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
hi Mark
I would prefer this.

Perhaps with the caption: " Do we have a problem"Gremlin.jpg

Last edited:
How did the PAT course go.?
The course went well, in fact one of the things we were told is never use a neon screwdriver to test for mains. :)

It did get a bit boring after the first couple of days because it was repeating what I already knew. Most of it is common sense, i.e. checking the cable isn't damaged and that the plug is correctly wired with the appropriate fuse fitted.

I have an exam next week. I couldn't do it last week because I was helping with an adventure holiday or people with disabilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back