Earth Stator Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavilan

The problem stated.

I want to use a magnetic activated switch (like used on door alarms) to reverse the polarity of a circuit. The circuit will move past a magnet, when it does I want the circuit to reverse polarity. I want to do it using transistors instead of mechanical switches. The circuit will have to handle up to 1 amp at voltages from .5 to 5 volts. Is this possible?

Gavilan

Dont know what you want exactly but i think :idea: you need this for a door or something and a motor you can just use a H-bridge...
search on the forum

Gavilan said:
The circuit will have to handle up to 1 amp at voltages from .5 to 5 volts. Is this possible?

I have an idea to reverse polarity with a SPST switch (like your magnetic switch) and a few transistors, however it is only really feasible above 5V.

Switching 0.5V with transistors, would be near impossible, given that the voltage drop of a silicon junction is about 0.6V.

What is the application? If we know what it is for, it helps us think of ways to solve the problem.

Dear Drrogla and Phasor:

Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my post.

The Earth Stator Motor is for - well - it's just kinda for fun. I can see application from environmental parasitic field or solar powered mobiles (ART) to space propulsion and lots of things in between; and it all depends on an efficient polarity-reversing switch!

You have seen how a compass works. This first project will require some rather novel innovation from the bearing on which the motor is mounted to the circuit design.

The idea is to wind a coil. Cover it with photovoltaic wired in series or series/parallel and insulated from the coil, in series with the photovoltaic and the coil put a reversing switch (a switch that reverses coil polarity).

In parallel with the photovoltaic (or isolated) build a circuit branch that uses a magnetic reed switch or Hall sensor to activate the reversing switch. Depending on the length and mass of the coil it may be possible to use a lever tripped mechanical switch. An alternative to a switch would be to mount low friction brushes on the motor mount. Designed somewhat like the brushes of a DC motor (which it is.) but even very low friction brushes will greatly increase the power needed overcome the resistance of the brushes. The advantage of brushes is the ability to dismount all components from the rotor (coil). (Or charge a power storage circuit by pulse induction.)

Mount the coil (rotor) on a low friction bearing. (I am going to fabricate a magnetic bearing) When using the magnetic activated switch place the coil in a position that when the coil turns and become aligned with earth N/S field the switch will be activated.

Then I plan to take it out into the sun and align the rotor in repulsive orientation to earth field and release the rotor. As the rotor begins to turn it will convert some of the electrical energy from the solar cells into rotational energy of rotor. When the rotor turns through 180 degrees there will no longer be a force acting through the moment arm (coil) to continue acceleration, rotational momentum will move the coil through the zero torque position and then - click - the switch reverses the polarity of the coil to keep it turning. It will be important to insure the proper position of where the polarity switch activates. Rotational acceleration should continue until drag and power balance. It should go round and round and round and round and round. Ain’t gotta clue if will work

Satellite Experimental Package:

Same theory except the switch is activated by an accelerometer and the activation angle is changed from 180 to 90 degrees to maintain repulsion. The package is placed in orbit and aligned in repulsive relationship with earth field. The switch is closed. The sum force should be equal to the torque force plus the linear force. As the torque force moves the coil through an angle of 90 degrees the linear force will drop to zero. The accelerometer reads the linear force and activates the switch when the linear force reads zero. The momentum of the package carries the angle through 90 towards 180 but maintaining repulsive orientation. The rotational energy stored in the first 90 degrees will convert to linear kinetic of the package as the coils rotational energy decays. Click, click, click, click. Do ya reckon the rotation will dampen until it is just sitting there at approx 90 degrees with the switch reversing each time it reads zero? Well, put a back up timer on it. If the reversing activations have too high of a rate hold the switch in position, whoops now I've done made the darn thing activate with the force in attraction instead of repulsion. If force vector is not equal to - then reverse. Anyways -- Ain’t gotta clue if this will work either but it sure is purdy to think about.

SHoooo EEEEEE - now once we get that down hows about taking advantage of the cosine relationship between field angle and force? You know - expand - the possible force vectors from two (repulsion and attraction to earth field) to any old way I wanna go!

I just align on earth field for a bit with just so field strength for a little push at x angle - then align on Sun field with just so field strength for a little pull at y angle - then align on Jupiter field with just so filed strength for a little pull at z angle - Then sum the force vectors and that’s where I wanna go. - real real fast.

But it all boils down to power, ability to generate high field strength, and the capability to rapidly and precisely change relative field angle.

Gentleman - mass reaction propulsion is a Neanderthal approach to space propulsion. I don't care if its ion, plasma, or gas - it's still Newtonian Dogma. The achievable velocity will never exceed some percentage of the exhaust velocity and mass reaction requires some type of mass propellant where as field reaction propulsion frees us from that. Field Reaction propulsion only requires an electrical source.
I understand the inverse square relationship of field to force. I also realize that even a very minute field source (that of the sun, planet, or galaxy) can be used as a reaction field if the action field is very large.
I also understand that the ampere has been defined as a magnetic force function since 1948 when it was changed from a base rate of electrolytic deposition of silver nitrate. I also believe that superconductivity will allow us to achieve inconceivable magnet field strengths. In closing I want to say - ain't gotta clue if this will work either - but it sure is fun for this railroader to think about.

Gavilan

Yes future purpulsion is an interesting part of science, but it will only become fully plausible after the invention of roomtemperature super conductors(we might then get sci-fi "warp" drive) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…