Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

easiest way to get +-12 volts from a car battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Death By Bass

not sure how much current I need, probably 1 amp each should do it.

I know national semiconductors do a regulator, that with a switchmode transformer will give +-12 volts, but these parts aren't easy to come by...

I'll measure how much current I actually need at -12volts, it may not be that much.

also, +-11 volts seems to be enough anyway, as thats what the powersupply I'm looking to replace gives anyway.

cheers!

edit:

-12 volts @ 20mA is all I seem to need...

Last edited:
What are you building?

There might be a simpler way to convert your project so it will run of one single 12V supply.

Hero999 said:
What are you building?

There might be a simpler way to convert your project so it will run of one single 12V supply.

its a home DVD player, that has +5 +12 and -12 volt rails... :p

the +-12 seems to only be for the circuitry... the +5 volts controls everything else, like motors and the display.

:)

You need a dc/dc converter module. Digikey and others sell them. You must also figure out the current requirements to size one.

Analog said:
You need a dc/dc converter module. Digikey and others sell them. You must also figure out the current requirements to size one.

like I said... +-12 volts at under 100mA...

*looks around the room*
*pulls some PCBs out from under my bed*

hmm...

+5volts in, +-15 volts out? close :p lol

Easy, add a LM7912 to the -15V supply.

Hero999 said:
Easy, add a LM7912 to the -15V supply.

be even easier to just buy a 10-15volt input, +-12volt output module...

rather than use the module I have, plus three regulators, and a handfull of capacitors...

Looks like you've answerd your own question then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back