Easy. C programming question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi all

Just writing up some code, so far it all works perfectly until i accidentally enter a character (instead of an interger) for scanf.
It displays the menu over and over and over.....

Any ideas how i can get rid of this bug?
Im a beginner so i'd appreciate something as simplistic as possible.

Thankyou

attached is the code

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 324
There is a function in C called " isadigit() " so first call scanf for a character "%c" then check if its a digit then convert to an int (atoi());

Code:
char key;

if(isadigit(scanf("%c",key)))
   {
   process here;
   }
else
   dont;

something like this

Ian

OR.... just check that the scaned value is between 0 and 9.. (that's simpler)

Last edited:
The problem with "scanf" is that it leaves junk lying around in the buffer. If your menu is constantly being displayed, this might be the reason. Make a function like the one below, and call after the scanf line:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

void eat_junk(void) (
  int ch;

while((ch = getchar()) != '\n') {
     if (ch < 0)
        exit(EXIT_FAILURE); //EOF!
  }
}

Find more information here : c - How to prevent the user from entering more data than the maximum limit? - Stack Overflow

thanks Ian

i tried checking the scanned value to see if its between 0 to 9, but if a character is press and it reloops.........its as if the programs skipping the scanf code and is just remembering what i had previously entered.

any ideas?

Thanks for that

Im guessing the " ( " after (void) is mean't to be " { ".

also sorry for a million question but as i said im a beginner.
What would be the code to call this function, so i can put it after my scanf() statement?

thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…