Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low-pass filter with C but no R

carbonzit

This is something that's bugged me for some time now.

I hasten to point out that IANAEE (I am not an electronics expert); I know enough to get into trouble, and maybe a little more. Hence my puzzlement on this point.

In another thread there's a discussion of why, when a guy added a series resistor to the input of an amplifier, it degraded the sound quality by what sounded like attenuating high frequencies, the classic effect of a low-pass filter. The theory advanced was that by adding the series resistor, it formed a low-pass filter with an already-existing capacitor at the input of the amp.

This does not make sense to me. Let me explain why.

This shows the classic low-pass filter with both a C and R, but also simply a C:

LPF.gif

We know the C-R network forms a low-pass filter. But doesn't a C by itself also form one? It's simply the degenerate case where R=0, right? It will still function to attenuate high frequencies. Look at power supplies that have filter capacitors but no series resistors (some have them, some don't). There's your R-less LPF.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting that one doesn't ever need an R to make a LPF; it's certainly needed to create the proper response curve, rolloff and cutoff frequency. But if that amplifier already had a C across its input, I don't see how adding an R would suddenly create a LPF where none existed before. It would certainly change the response of the filter, but my guess is that it would have less effect, overall, than the C already has.

So what am I missing here? I'll let the experts here respond.

Solution
So when I show a LPF with just C and no R, that's exactly what I mean: whatever R there is in wires or other components should be completely swamped by the other components, since R is essentially zero, correct? So in other words, we can have a LPF that has (virtually) no R.

No, but if a circuit adds a capacitor like that to act as an LPF, then it's because it's relying on a suitable source impedance - in your case the circuit is meaningless, because it only shows part of the circuit.

It's quite simple, for such a crude LPF as this - simply calculate the impedance of the capacitor at the frequency you require, then the series resistor (or source impedance) needs to be that resistance.

For example, a 1000Hz LPF with a...
As Diver correctly mentioned, the series diode prevents simple linear analysis.
In this instance, the capacitor is behaving as an energy storage unit. It is a completely different analysis.
And let’s not forget, every single real-world transformer has an effective series resistance. As a first order calculation, it is the sum of the secondary winding’s resistance plus the primary winding resistance multiplied by the square of the turns ratio.

Yes, decreases, thanks.
Sorry to keep coming back atcha, but then how does this work?

View attachment 146766

(Virtually) no R here, except the driving impedance, which must be quite low, no? And the filter frequency has to be less than 50 or 60 Hz in order to eliminate ripple. So how does that square with your statement about filter R and frequency?

It's not an LPF, it's a rectifier feeding a reservoir capacitor - the capacitor basically acts as a battery.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back