effect of electrical bias on solder cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.
cinderella1 If this IS research... Yo will have to do the test.. No-one here can tell you what will happen and when! That's the idea of research... When you burn the diode off of a PCB and the solder has cracked, then you can come back and report to us at what temperature it occurred!!!

As I said no-one here will be able to answer this...

I just did a quick "google" and found references for muffle furnaces going up to 1800 degC.
This may be a little bit higher than the average circuit board can tolerate.

JimB

(gulp) i guess this machine not suitable for thermal cycling method. i am so confused right now. need to find new method to crack solder using this machine. is high temperature storage ok?

I've been repairing electronics for over 40 years, dry joints are caused mainly by poor design and by poor quality construction - if you properly hand soldered the joints in the first place, they would probably never fail.

As JimB has already pointed out, the normal places are on larger components, such as transformers, large transistors on heat sinks, large capacitors, metal earthing strips across the board etc.

All these tend to 'suck' the heat away during flow soldering, and I suspect they tend not to get soldered very well because of this - normally cleaning the joint and hand soldering means it never reoccurs. Other problems are mechanical stress, again with heavy components where the only mounting is the solder joints, and also components subject to high frequency vibration such as transformers and inductors in LOPT stages or SMPSU's.

There was a classic example on an old Bush CTV (BC6100 series - late 70's/early 80's?), these commonly developed dry joints on a pincushion transformer - Bush solved the problem by hand soldering the transformer connections after the board had been flow soldered, and by using high melting point solder (which has greater mechanical strength).

(gulp) i guess this machine not suitable for thermal cycling method.
Even a domestic oven could kill many electronic components, and de-laminate a pcb, probably long before the solder melted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…