Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Horn question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogetax1

hey guys, i have a horn with 12v/510Hz
i want to use it using my 48v/14A battery.
i cant think of a way to get the resistor as a power devider from 48v to 12v for this horn.

any ideas how i calculate that? (i dont know the resistance of the horn)

Attachments

• DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    490.9 KB · Views: 157
Specs found on the Internet show that it is an electromagnetic automotive horn that uses 6 Amps at 12V. You're looking at one HOT 216 Watt, 6 ohm resistor there fella. Power source is 48 V, Horn is 12 V, resistor voltage is 48-12=36 volts. 36 volts/6 amps = 6 ohms. Power= 6 amps * 6 amps * 6 ohms = 216 watts.

ok thanks for the fast reply.. sorry for my slow reply though :)

so. how many Ohms i need to put before the horn to decrease the voltage from 48 to 12 for this thing to work properly?

Did you read the last sentence of ccurtis's reply?

Ken

The cost of the resistor will probably be greater than that of a 48V horn or a 12V battery :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back