Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric Solenoid Valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

I just bought one of these.

I imagined it would consist of 2 wires and 2 screw holes to connect the pipes... but when the device arrived, it had 4 screw holes? 2x small screw holes at the bottom and 2 much bigger each side.

The device is described as 1/4" so I bought stuff to connect a 1/4" pipe to it. But it seems the holes on the side are for the water pipes (but are about an inch wide) and the ones underneath look like are just for screwing it to something.

**broken link removed**

Anyone have any experience of this stuff that could possibly shine a light on what I have bought!?

Thanks

I think they shipped you the wrong part.

Ummmm. I considered that but it has a sticker on it saying it has a 1/4" tube and the one in the picture is the very device I was sent?

The threaded hole for the 1/4" pipe should be nearly 1/2", that's 1/4" for the pipe ID and 2 X 1/8" for the sidewall ( two sidewall thincknesses in the OD measurement ) If the hole is nearly an inch, then it's way too big, and someting in wrong. Maybe the parts have the wrong dataplate or something. I'd call the supplier.

Last edited:
The threaded hole for the 1/4" pipe should be nearly 1/2", that's 1/4" for the pipe ID and 2 X 1/8" for the sidewall ( two sidewall thincknesses in the OD measurement ) If the hole is nearly an inch, then it's way too big, and someting in wrong. Maybe the parts have the wrong dataplate or something. I'd call the supplier.

Good point. I will go and find my ruler. Cheers.

Yes, for pipes it's the outside diameter that is measured, not the inside. That way you can have varying wall thicknesses for various pressure, but the same couplings.

Yes, for pipes it's the outside diameter that is measured, not the inside. That way you can have varying wall thicknesses for various pressure, but the same couplings.

Outside diameter? Surely that means it's the wrong size because the hole is definitely bigger than 1/4".

Outside diameter? Surely that means it's the wrong size because the hole is definitely bigger than 1/4".

In industrial applications it is usual to have some kind of a fitting as an interface between the pipe and valve, the valve is not generally screwed directly on to the pipe.

Have a look here:

For a 1/4" pipe, the size of the fitting which screws into a valve body or whatever is about 13mm diameter, the exact size depends on whether it is a BSP or an NPT thread.

JimB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back