Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

evandude

Does anyone know of a good place for getting an electronic device manufactured professionally? I am looking at a reasonably small board maybe a few inches on a side, with maybe a couple dozen SMT and a couple dozen through-hole components, and would expect production run sizes on the order of several 10's of units, which might only classify as prototype quantities, I don't know.

I'm just looking into the idea of getting something made professionally for the first time, and thus don't even know where to start. Yes, I've done some google searches, but I know that hearing from folks with some personal experience with this will be much more valuable.
Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Last edited:
evandude said:
Does anyone know of a good place for getting an electronic device manufactured professionally? I am looking at a reasonably small board maybe a few inches on a side, with maybe a couple dozen SMT and a couple dozen through-hole components, and would expect production run sizes on the order of several 10's of units, which might only classify as prototype quantities, I don't know.

No idea where you might get it done?, but (as you say) those are probably only prototype quantities - expect to pay a LOT for a small run of units.

For that size run I suspect it would be a LOT more cost effective to assemble them yourself, but have the PCB's made for you.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No idea where you might get it done?, but (as you say) those are probably only prototype quantities - expect to pay a LOT for a small run of units.

For that size run I suspect it would be a LOT more cost effective to assemble them yourself, but have the PCB's made for you.

Yeah, I'm sort of getting that feeling as well, the more I look. One place I looked had an online instant quote service, and the total price quote based on my quick estimated description was only 10% more for 40 units vs. 10 units, so it seems i'd have to get up into the 100's of units for the per-unit cost to be reasonable.

And hey, I am a college student, I'm sure I could find some underclassman that would be happy to work for minimum wage soldering PCB's, if I got really sick of it ;)

I've always used a rule of thumb of 50 units where it makes sense to contract out assembly. The problem for this kind of stuff is that you have to think like a manufacturing engineer and that means assembly drawings and VERY detailed assembly instructions. what about testing? rework?

for 10-20, you are better off doing it yourself though it might make sense to get a paste stencil made and use SFE hotplate reflow https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/present.php?p=Reflow Skillet . You could probably make up to a couple hundred that way before you got sick of it...

Even if you farm out the work, I recommend you assemble more than a couple to understand what the process is like.

I can recomment another contract assembler if you're interested.

**broken link removed**

We use them for everything from prototype to production. They are fast, competent and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the info guys. No matter what I do for manufacturing (whether it be getting them professionally made from start to finish, or just getting professional PCBs and soldering them myself), I would be doing all testing/support/rework/etc myself. I don't at all think that the device I have in mind has a big enough market to require that to be contracted out professionally as well. The target customers are a bunch of DIY'ers and from what I have seen of their reception of similar products marketed by individuals or very small businesses (many of which have proven to have some issues), are a pretty forgiving bunch, so I don't have to worry about making a 100% bulletproof commercial product.

The typical process of release for such products has often involved a beta test phase, where 10 or 20 units are given out (or sold at a low price, perhaps at cost) to respected members of the community, who stress test them, report any issues, and write up some reviews if everything works well; that takes a lot of the stress out of it, not having to over-engineer the crap out of it first. If this whole idea of mine works out in the end, I plan to do this beta-test type of thing, to make sure my device is suitable for general release, documentation is complete enough, and it creates a foundation of (hopefully) good reviews.

Last edited:
hey,

For printed circuit production, you could try here

**broken link removed**

don't know what they're like, just seen them on ebay a lot.

in case the item has ended before you get chance to look, their email is helloproto@petpirates.com

oh, seller's name is petpirates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back