Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Shark Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone know what frequency this unit operates on?

**broken link removed**

From what I understand, this thing transmitts some frequncy ( or frequncies ) that a shark cannot withstand, so it leaves the area immidiatly upon entering the effective transmitter zone. Since I like scuba diving but cannot afford $800 gadget, I was wondering if I can make my own ghetto version.

Thanks

Hello.
A $800 device can have about $8 in parts...

There is several 'ghetto' versions you can try. Pic ANY frequency of your choice and test. Or perhaps, sweep a frequency range. TEST is the hardest part of your project.

I always wondered if a piezoelectric lighter, properly waterproofed with the terminals at the tip of a pole can give a shock to its nearby zone, (includes the diver) when triggered.

My favorite plan (to try yet) is a 200mW waterproofed green laser. Aimed to shark eyes, should produce permanent blindness in less than one second, and from a safe distance... if you see it coming.

Especulating, try if protects the rear end, attaching magnets to the fin tips :

---> Geeky Rare-Earth Magnets Repel Sharks

Now you have something to tinker with.

-Diver too-

Edited - added---> Seems I guessed fine. Check US patent 7,302,905 for the range of frequencies plus details.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back