element for heating funnel to constant temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP hasn't said exactly how the funnel is used, so really it's up to the application

hi RB
The OP posted this:

The funnel is filled with boiled sugar and then moved by hand over the silicone moulds that I make.

The funnel has a valve at the bottom to control the flow of liquid boiled sugar into the molds

It looks a simple operation to me.

E.

I guess 'simple' is a relative term .
The OP must have his reasons for using a funnel with a handle, but I prefer RB's approach. For safety reasons I would not want to use that funnel.
My preference would be a fixed flat-bottomed vessel (e.g. an ordinary saucepan, modified) with a remotely-operable outlet valve/pipe at the base; the whole caboodle in a raised heated enclosure with a lid at the top for re-filling the vessel or removing it for cleaning.

hi RB
The OP posted this:
"The funnel is filled with boiled sugar and then moved by hand over the silicone moulds that I make."

Thanks, again that was my fault, I missed that.

I've set up a few production moulding dispensing equipment, and I would be pretty sure it's much better to move the mould under that big hot thing as the moulds would be lighter and less dangerous, AND need to be cleared from the dispensing area when full so the moulds need to be moved and handled anyway.

If the moulds are large (like a X/Y matrix compound mould) then the normal system is to use a fixed dispenser with a row of nozzles, so the mould only has to be moved through in one axis.

The funnel was originally designed to be moved by hand over each mould, but the weight of the boiled sugar and attached wires will probably make hand control impractical, and dangerous over several hours of dispensing boiled sugar. . The sugar is boiled in a large copper pan and then poured into the funnel; the moulds should be rotated beneath the funnel and the hot candy metered into the moulds. The block idea does make sense; I'll have to figure how to build it to take the weight and apply the heat. Perhaps a hook to engage the handle to take the weight and a wide circular copper band to apply the heat to the body of the funnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…