Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why my transistor is heating up to failure

CHILLFACTOR

Screenshot_2024-08-06-22-48-18-361_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Solution
That 741 is to be configured as a Comparator and NOT as a Linear amplifier.
Obviously, the transistor is operating in a Linear mode and not as a Switch.
It will heat up and fail.
At that rate, I'd rather grab an old LM386 audio amplifier, wire it as a comparitor and drive the relay coil directly from the output.
As always, an LM386 isn't an opamp, it's a power amp - however, the 741 circuit just needs an attenuator on the output of the 741, the two diodes are a horrible idea :D

As I'm sure almost everyone here knows, it's a VERY simple and basic circuit, and has been done perfectly fine with 741's for decades - and can be found in many (all?) of the countless 741 books.

However, why use an antique 741?, there are numerous cheaper and much better 'modern' opamps, far better to use one of those.

As always, an LM386 isn't an opamp, it's a power amp - however, the 741 circuit just needs an attenuator on the output of the 741, the two diodes are a horrible idea :D

As I'm sure almost everyone here knows, it's a VERY simple and basic circuit, and has been done perfectly fine with 741's for decades - and can be found in many (all?) of the countless 741 books.

However, why use an antique 741?, there are numerous cheaper and much better 'modern' opamps, far better to use one of those.
Of course it's not a op amp and, in this case the OP is best off with a comparitor - in any case, that's the beauty of the LM386. It's a power amp and can be used to directly drive the relay's coil. There is an old TI (National Semi) application note of where you can use the TI386 to minimize component count and board space in your designs. Even shown for small speed control of brushed-DC motors.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back