Environmental Air Pollution Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cumaximiliani

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm working on a project in which the general OBJECTIVES are:
(1) Gathering and measuring the environmental conditions in real time
(2) Taking pictures or mapping the atmosphere which would help in determining our dirty the atmosphere is;

Based on the project objectives, I decided that the balloon payload needed to meet all the following design goals:
* Accept and process GPS data (latitude, longitude, altitude, and time).
* Operate multiple cameras.
* Transmit activities performed, location, altitude, and temperature data.
* Perform environmental measurements.
* Record and transmission of data.

Key Measurement Apparatus Needed:
(1). CO Sensors*
(2). NO Sensors*;
(3). Ozone O3 Sensors*
(4). NOx Sensors*
(5). NO2 sensors*
(6). SO2 Sensors*
(7). Air Quality Control Sensor for detecting a wide range of gases, including NH3,
NOx, benzene, smoke and CO2.
(8). Pressure Sensors;
(9). Nuclear Radiation Sensors
10). Particulate matter sensors
11). Temperature Sensors

* The statistics of concentrations of trace gases measured at a site using the conventional measuring instruments for these gases/pollutant in ppbv was 26.8±13.9 for O3, 0.7±1.8 for NO, 10.1±7.9 for NO2, 10.8± 8.8 for NOx, 2.2±3.6 for SO2 and 505±335 for CO. The annual mean O3 mixing ratio varied from 30.1±21.0 ppbv to 32.8±19.1 ppbv during 2004–2006. The annual mean NOx concentrationwere 14.5±14.0, 11.0±11.3 and 12.7±11.8 ppbv in 2004, 2005, and 2006, respectively. The corresponding SO2 values were 5.9±10.0, 6.1±9.9 and 7.6±10.2 ppbv in 2004, 2005 and 2006, respectively, showing an increasing trend over the period from 2004 to 2006.

The flight program would be the most challenging part. In addition to coordinating the cameras, environmental measurements, GPS data processing, radio transmissions, and data-logging, the BS2 had to be programmed to react to any problems that might occur. This meant having a program that can react to problems like a power interruption (and BS2 reset), loss of GPS signal lock, GPS malfunction, and incorrect GPS data. It also needs to note whether it’s going up or down (which dictated how frequently it transmitted data), as well as the start of the descent (which can exceed 100mph).

Therefore, I'd appreciate any assistance on how to get good sensors that could be sensitive to the above parameters. Could you also give some suggestions on this project?

Waiting forward to hearing from you. Feel free to contact me should you need some clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…