Etching a PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi, i am etching my first PCB.I made the etchent with Ferric Chloride and water 250ml and 2 Tea spoons(according to old post in the forum).Its been 3 hours and the only thing it ahs done is dull the copper.Is it supposed to be that slow or dulling means it is working?

it is working but three hours is too long already.
I usually etch with Ferric Chloride (no water added) and in daylight and it takes usually 30 mins to 1 hour maximum.

It may underetch the trackes - i.e. etch underneath where its meant to be etching.

Can't you stick it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so ? (obviously taking the PCB out)

You might also try turning the PCB upside down so the copper side is facing the desk - the copper will etch more readily with the spent stuff "falling off".

Cold Ferric Chloride is a bit of a waste of time unless its very concentrated.

I use the Radio Shack Ferric Chloride all the time, not heated (heating will help). Takes 15-30 max? Something is wrong with your mix for sure. I also leave the board facing down as stated and rock the bowl here and there. All done outside with a fan blowing over it.

Two teaspoons of ferric chloride solid (maybe 15 to 20 g) in 250 mL of water is too dilute. It is less than 10%. Commercial ferric chloride solution is about 40%. Warming will help, so will adding more ferric chloride. John

One to two teaspoons of Fe3CL in 250ml of water is definetely not sufficient.
As jpanhalt already said the concentration should be about 40% (100g).

Temperature is no big issue when etching using Fe3CL. It's the mechanical work which acellerates the process.

Using a photo developer bowl (flat with a large surface) and lifting one side causes the mixture to move over the PCB in wafe form washing off the already etched copper.

You can either do it manually or use toy motor/reduction gear combination and attach a cam doing the lifting. Adjust the speed so the wafe can travel all the way from one end to the other.

Spray etching however is fastest.

Boncuk

Looks like really black coffee when it's right.

If you have the nerve, you can use a ceramic casserole dish and heat it in the microwave. Don't try it with plastic, and don't let it get hot enough to boil.

Last edited:
If your etchant is in a plastic tub you can float that tub in a sink or larger tub of hot water. You will have to keep a hold on it to keep it from spilling into the larger tub, but you will want to rock the etchant anyways.

EDIT: I agree with the others who say your solution is too weak.

Last edited:

Its been an hour and the PCB is etching perfectly.Nearly done.

I made the PCB only a half a cm break but will get over that.I bought a minidrill that drills holes the size of a veroboard.Some components on my PCB require a small hole so should i do it or what?

I made the PCB only a half a cm break but will get over that.I bought a minidrill that drills holes the size of a veroboard.Some components on my PCB require a small hole so should i do it or what?

As long as it is not an issue, thin wired components can be parked in slightly larger dia holes.
otherwise you could use 0.8mm drill bit even.

So that the ferric chloride can spoil the cooker? generally i keep the container having ferric chloride in another lage tub filled with boiled water. this help raising the temp of etchant.

Last edited:
MG CHEMICALS PART NUMBER 4101-1KG
**broken link removed**

If you are unhappy with ferric chloride try Sodim Persulphate. It will not corrode the sink or pipes. Etches in about 10 minutes. It does not stain or eat flesh. Used solution dries to crystals which I take to county recycling events..

It must be heated to work. I do my etcing in a glass bread pan resting on a block of sponge rubber (foam). Slight pressure on one end causes a rocking motion. I reheat the solution once during etching in a microware oven with out the pcb. After 2 years the oven still works. (EDIT: Do this at your own risk but I do not think it is causing damage)

One member used to heat water in a zip lock freezer bag and microwave to heat. When hot he open the bag and added the crystals and PCB. He etched the board right in the bag. Great for dorm rooms.

The stuff is a strong oxidizer and from what I have hear it can even be used as the oxdizer for rocket fuel. An oxdizer by itself can not burn.

The container above is $22 US but it will etch a lot of boards.

3v0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…