Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Exaust Fume Ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rthrthrth

Hey guys!
I am looking into somthing that people have done where they take a spark plug and use it to ignite the tail fumes of a car.

I wish to do the same thing with my raptor 700 (thats right :D) and i believe i already know how to do so- but my question is intead this:

Would it be wise.. possible... cheaper.. etc to just wire a spark plug up to the same ignition coil already in use by the other one?

My reasoning for this is that-
1.it is a single cylinder engine, it only has one other spark plug to power (one visible on engine and thats it)
2.So, if i use a momentary switch on the handlebars to quickly press and igniting both at once..will it mess up the first one (in the engine) kaput etc?

3. i know fuel is a problem but im just focusing on this part for now- but i dont know if i want to add more parts to it (like im basically trying to use ehats already avaliable, not add another battery tranformer, etc>)

So do you think thats a bad idea? If just for a moment t run two spark plugs off the same coil? I know that they are normally fired in sequence on cars- which is why im here...

Exhaust does not burn. Fuel burns.
How will you put fuel into the exhaust pipe?

Will you turn off the engine's spark so its fuel goes into the exhaust pipe then ignite it with a spark plug in the exhaust pipe?
WHY??

Wow

"Exhaust does not burn. Fuel burns." -There is some unburnt fuel tht always comes out the exaust pipe, thats why you can smell fumes and not just burnt smell.

How will you put fuel into the exhaust pipe?
-
Propane tanks and tubing is how they have done it before, but if i ever did that i would use a camping sized tank, but im not planning on adding fuel yet.

Will you turn off the engine's spark so its fuel goes into the exhaust pipe then ignite it with a spark plug in the exhaust pipe?
WHY??[/QUOTE]

No, i will add ANOTHER spark plug- therefore the engine will remain running genius- my question was....will running a second smaller wire from the spark plugs power source (ignition coil) to another second spark plug have a bad effect on the one in the engine?

And i plan to add a button so it isnt constantly running both, just for a second- point being, is there enough power from a 10,000 v coil or so to spark both for one button press..cmon its not like im trying to stop the engine or whatever.

Why?Q!?

Because its awsome to see flames shoot out of your sweet atv's tailpipe- and its not for a ar, therefore i can do whever the heck i please.

It only would be illegal if i did it as i was driing down the road, but since i dont go on roads anyways.....but somone can you please answer the real question- will two sparkplugs hooked up to the same coil overload it?

even if just for a second?
and: canada allows this- i looked it up in the legality sections and it states motor vehicle, and this thing isn't for road use anyways so....

Last edited:
There is a very small amount of unburned fuel in the exhaust of an engine that is running properly. It won't burn from a spark.
But if the engine is running with an extremely rich mixture then there will be plenty of fuel in the exhaust. The fuel will not burn without oxygen that is not in the exhaust.

Two spark plugs in parallel is a bad idea. The one with the contacts closer together will spark and the other one will not spark.

Because its awsome to see flames shoot out of your sweet atv's tailpipe- and its not for a ar, therefore i can do whever the heck i please.

It only would be illegal if i did it as i was driing down the road, but since i dont go on roads anyways.....but somone can you please answer the real question- will two sparkplugs hooked up to the same coil overload it?

even if just for a second?
and: canada allows this- i looked it up in the legality sections and it states motor vehicle, and this thing isn't for road use anyways so....

Well here in California there are laws covering off road use of vehicles because they can and have caused bad fires. In fact off road use is a bigger hazard then on road use as far as exhaust temperature goes.

Your idea sounds nuts, but as far as your question goes, the second spark plug could effect the first and most likely cause timing or misfiring problems in the engine, however most likely a spark would be generated by the path of least resistance and the first plug to spark would prevent the second from firing, so at best there would be no difference to the engine spark plug but no spark at the tail pipe plug.

Lefty

PS: When I was young and dumb I recall coasting down long hills, turning off the ignition, waiting 30-60 seconds then turning the ignition back on. Loud explosion could be heard, don't know if flames shot out the tail pipe.

Last edited:
alright

ok so it sounds like ill either have to put in another coil and hook it up to the same battery, or it might harm the engine- also propane ubed into the tailpipe would b for big flame but i think since im using high performance fuel it alrady has lots :D

Oh, and ps its a quad (atv) raptor 700 isnt a car :D

/and lol at Leftys story :)

Last edited:
Why don't you just do it the way military aircraft use it for afterburner (English: reheat)?

There is a distributor ring just in the nozzle area where fuel is injected. A constantly operating torch ignites the stuff.

I doubt you can reheat that little bit of fuel contained in the exhaust gases.

For proper fuel burning it takes 16kg of air for 1kg of fuel. Exhaust gases don't almost contain air.

You might change your mind and inject used engine oil into the exhaust pipe.

Makes a wonderful black blast of smoke and "fogs" you in :D and has a good smell, too. :D

Don't forget to label the switch "Air pollution". :)

Boncuk

.......No, i will add ANOTHER spark plug- therefore the engine will remain running genius- my question was....will running a second smaller wire from the spark plugs power source (ignition coil) to another second spark plug have a bad effect on the one in the engine?...

Ho hum, another new member insulting the regulars.....:rolleyes:

FYI, genius, using two spark plugs from the same coil will result in either one firing, but not both at the same time. The spark will take the path of least resistance...you could gap the plugs identically and the one in the engine, affected by compression pressures, will not fire, whilst the one in the exhaust will. Result - you won't be able to start the engine reliably and if it does start, it is likely to stall rather quickly.

You could play around with the gaps to try and achieve your aim, but don't bank on your engine operation being anywhere near reliable.

lol

No no , i was thinking of labeling it "Panic" as in thats what it causes- but ya that injection idea is basically what i was thinking, but propane- camping sized bottles etc.

?

Ho hum, another new member insulting the regulars.....:rolleyes:

No, i want insulting the "regulars" and thats a pretty dumb statement- i was being sarcastic as he didn't answer the question, so the "regulars" must be getting forgetfull in their old age eh?

yep

scary thought, i will one day be no longer able to surive a head on collision into a fence. Oh well, at least i still have rocketry...

If you wanted to do this properly, you would install a second coil & plug assembly, wired in parallel to the original and through a switch on the handlebars. Give it a fistfull & then let off the throttle and go into over-run, where excess fuel will build up in the exhaust, then hit the button...:D

But the fuel will not burn and won't explode in the exhaust pipe because there is no oxygen there. The fuel will burn in the air outside the exit of the exhaust pipe.

So we'll be seeing your obituary in the paper next week sometime?
If you don't know what you're doing and manage to suck a fuel air mixture back into the exaust system and then ignite it they'll be picking pieces of your exhaust system out of anybody standing within 20 feet of it when it explodes.

PS: When I was young and dumb I recall coasting down long hills, turning off the ignition, waiting 30-60 seconds then turning the ignition back on. Loud explosion could be heard, don't know if flames shot out the tail pipe.
I had a van whose engine was sporadically missing due to a loose ignition wire on the coil primary, that I wasn't aware of at the time. Once I stepped hard on the gas when the engine was missing from this and suddenly there was a tremendous "bang". Immediately my exhaust was significantly louder. Examination of the muffler showed a huge hole blown in the side.

Last edited:
Haha

nice, and ya im sure im going to have a second setup now, anyone know if there are smalle versions of the ignition coil though? Trying to cut down on space used as the huge cylinder would take up a lot of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back