Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Excessive Amperage Broke My Fan !?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could posibly put a large capacitor paralel to the fan to filter the spikes I guess. Would this help guys?

excessive amperage

Have you tried connecting the fans positive straight to the battery with an inline fuse, and the negatve to a switched relay. I have connected mine this way with no problems.

The fan is controlled by a pic. It reads in the coolant temp sensor and triggers a NPN transistor to connect the relay coil to ground.

Talk about a Rube Goldberg overkill !! Next think you know, it'll be a PC running Vista to control the thing. Anybody ever hear of a thermostat?

Is it a North American term then?, it's certainly not a European one, and not something I've ever seen in any American texts.

I don't know about North American vs European, but an over-current condition caused by a motor with bad bearings or an over-burdened or seized rotor is often called "LOCKED ROTOR AMPS"...and we often use the term "amperage" to signify current draw with electrical systems, especially AC/home wiring etc, motors, contactors, and refrigeration.

Not so much with (ordinary) *electronic* circuits because they rarely draw more than an amp or two anyway.

As far as the fan motor is concerned, is this occuring in the wintertime or a cold environment?

The time frame wasn't specified.

I have a general motors vehicle that has a "secondary intake" fan associated with the manifold. I get a check engine every few months because I have a bad checkvalve that allows condensation to backflow and either rust the bearings or freeze and sieze the motor in cooler months.

Instead of replacing it for the third time I have decided it is an unnecessary nuisance warning with minimal effect on my fuel efficiency and emissions. I'm a year away from replacing the vehicle anyway.

At any rate, just a thought if Ice may be your culprit, or at least might have been for one of them.

Also remember, my question may be dumb for those of us in the Northern hemi who are just coming into the winter months, but I know Southern hemi posters abound here as well.

FYI this thread is about 4 plus years old since the last relevant post. :p

Odds are he doesn't have the car any more let alone the problem!:D

It's all firebirds fault! Nahh not really. I thought electromaster was going to look into providing more obvious warnings and or locking threads that had reached a certain age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back