Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake cigarette using LED, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

moeburn

I am looking to design a fake cigarette out of an orange LED and a white bic pen. I am going to place the switch on the "filter" side of the cig so that when held, the cigarette lights.

However, if possible, I would like for the LED to slowly dim to full brightness when you press and hold the ON switch, much as how when you inhale a cigarette, the orange on the end gets brighter and brighter until reaching a maximum.

I have no idea how I would make a push-button switch gradually change the amount of power going to the LED. Perhaps instead of a switch, I should just use a very small pot? But that would make it a joint, not a cig :D

Considering the limited space, maybe a microcontroller to fade in/out the LED, pushbutton to trigger an interupt. What kind of batteries? Probably need two watch batteries, but don't they would last very long.

To insert all these stuffs (Battery + circuit + LED + switch) even a Pipe Cigar’s space is not enough. You need a giant cigar to insert all these stuffs.

There are some automatic LED’s which fades automatically (the circuit is inbuilt inside the LED) only need power. But I’m not sure the orange colour is available.

Gayan Soyza said:
To insert all these stuffs (Battery + circuit + LED + switch) even a Pipe Cigar’s space is not enough. You need a giant cigar to insert all these stuffs.

There are some automatic LED’s which fades automatically (the circuit is inbuilt inside the LED) only need power. But I’m not sure the orange colour is available.

I have batteries that fit inside the pen. The LED fits inside the pen. So does a simple pushbutton switch (SMT). If the circuit requires an IC, it would have to be SMT as well. I can fit all of those together inside the pen easily, and still have room.

The LED can be yellow, with a plastic orange filter on the end.

Try this and see whether it is working or not. Play with the capacitor value to get the RC time constant.

Attachments

• test.GIF
    test.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 236
Maybe the LED will stay on all the time for the above schematic. How about this?
I don't have simulator in working place, I just use paint to draw.

Attachments

• test.GIF
    test.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 197
hi,
Look at russells thread "Why this simple oscillator/flasher doesn't work?"
and copy 'hero's' relaxation oscillator.

Hi Eric the same LED has in my country cost 5Rs.RGB ones. But I saw one time a single colour is available (with fading effect).Its was a red colour one. I couldn’t buy that one, now need it very much.

The operation of the RGB LED is like this

R-G-B-RG-RB-RGB Repeat Continuously

R-OFF-G-OFF-B-RG-OFF-GB-OFF-RB-OFF-RGB-OFF sequence Repeating continuously

A single colour will be good for this project.

Check these out:
https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G15473

When I first saw them, I thought they looked cool but they were a higher pressure range than what I could use. Maybe something like that could be of some use for this project? Sorry, but I don't think electronic goldmine will deliver to where you are, but maybe you could have a friend send you one or look around where you live for one.

I think the idea of having a fake cigarette is neat, and using watch batteries is a great idea. If you needed more space for the controls though, could you maybe rig something up to the actor's wrist, like a fake watch with most of the circuitry and power supply, with some flesh-coloured leads to the LED in the cigarette? You could have the contacts open on the actor's fingers, so the power supply is connected when they pick up the cigarette.

If you need to make a filter, why not just use hot glue? Melt some, and mix in some carbon, or maybe even some chunks of graphite (pencil lead). I guess you could even try pepper, but that might be kinda weird... :) This way, when your LED fades in and out, parts will look darker than other parts, just like a real cig.

Too bad we couldn't get all smokers to use these things, that way they would STOP WITH THE SECOND-HAND SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marks256 said:
Too bad we couldn't get all smokers to use these things, that way they would STOP WITH THE SECOND-HAND SMOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only just over two weeks now till it's banned in the UK in all public enclosed spaces :D

So no smoking at work, in work vehicles, in pubs, in clubs, in restaurants, in offices, in public buildings - should be a LOT better!.

The LED can be yellow, with a plastic orange filter on the end.
Most yellow ("amber") LEDs (590nM) contain very little orange (610nM) so a filter might not accomplish much. An alternative is to use two LEDs; a red (640nM) that stays almost constant and a yellow that gets brighter when you puff.

The first circuit would stay on always and the second would flash, not fade. The attached circuit should come on gradually (1/4 second) when the switch is pressed and then fade when it's released.

Attachments

• test.GIF
    test.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 182
Hank Fletcher said:
Maybe something like that could be of some use for this project?
I think a cigarette prop which would respond to pressure/vacuum similar to a real one would be a pretty cool stage effect. I'm sure one of those tiny 8-pin PICs would do the trick. Or, simply condition the signal from the pressure sensor with some analog circuitry and drive the LED directly.
Jeff

Real or fake cigarettes are stupid on or off a stage.
Why do the actors need to show how stupid they are?

Nigel Goodwin said:
Only just over two weeks now till it's banned in the UK in all public enclosed spaces

So no smoking at work, in work vehicles, in pubs, in clubs, in restaurants, in offices, in public buildings - should be a LOT better!.

I hope that wasn't sarcasm, Nigel. I hate smokers. And don't tell me that i don't know what i am talking about; my own mother smokes. I cannot stand to be around her, or any other smokers, when they are smoking.

It is an infuriating topic, because the tax money coming from the cigarettes is great for roads and education, but the effects are really infuriating. I have been exposed to this crap for quite some time now; the cancer is just waiting to attack. :(

We need the clean air; but we also need the tax money

What to do?

Marks256 said:
I hope that wasn't sarcasm, Nigel. I hate smokers. And don't tell me that i don't know what i am talking about; my own mother smokes. I cannot stand to be around her, or any other smokers, when they are smoking.

No sarcasm, it's an absolutely disgusting habit, and a health hazard to everyone else.

I'm so looking forward to the ban.

As for the tax money, much of it is probably spent on damage caused by smoking.

I used to work at a large hospital that set aside a small outdoor alcove for smoking employees. In the winter they'd be sitting on a park bench, huddled together under a bed sheet.... doctors and nurses! The place stunk to high heaven... it was annoying when I walked by that doorway. Just think about those poor trees in that alcove, subjected to endless toxins. Oh, wait a minute... that's what trees do best... filter out the toxins we produce while giving off oxygen in trade. Ok carry on you puffers; it's a symbiotic relationship between you and the trees!!:rolleyes: ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back