Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fake cigarette using LED, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand not smoking indoors in public buildings, but I never really understood the ban on outdoor smoking in public places. I mean, sure, it is hazardous to an individual's health, but so is junk food, alcohol, and caffeine. I thought it was just a handful of people's attitude towards smokers, until I met my girlfriend.

She would start wheezing, coughing, and even turning blue, randomly throughout the day. She has asthma, but the doctor's say it is mild and minor irritants such as pollution shouldn't affect her. I was confused, until I realized that she only had asthma attacks when people around her were smoking. She didn't even know it was the smoke doing it to her.

That ruled out any doubt in my mind as to the intentions of anti-smoking people.

Thanks for all the circuits, I will build one tonight and post a video (on youtube) if I get it working.

Real or fake cigarettes are stupid on or off a stage.
Why do the actors need to show how stupid they are?
If smokers could be convinced to puff on a hollowed out pen with a couple of LEDs at the end, I would gladly build one for everyone that wanted it.

Last edited:
Or maybe a foot up their a^.^ would convince them to STOP SMOKING!!!

Nigel Goodwin said:
Only just over two weeks now till it's banned in the UK in all public enclosed spaces :D

So no smoking at work, in work vehicles, in pubs, in clubs, in restaurants, in offices, in public buildings - should be a LOT better!.

Blew me away when I was flying back to Ontario out of Lutton airport in the summer of '02 - no smoking signs everywhere, but clearly (or smokily?) was not a policy that was being enforced by law. By '02, Ontarians were well use to a public and indoor smoking ban, and the Premier there has even gone so far as to pass legislation to remove tobacco as a crop in Ontario. Ironically, the same Premier is supporting the automakers union by resisting legislation that would force Toyota, Ford, etc plants to only produce vehicles that conform to strict emissions standards. I guess everyone picks their battles?

I'd guess the block on emmision standards was an economic decision. If the automakers stand to loose a lot of money, they might figure it cheaper just open a plant elsewhere. They do provide a lot of jobs and business for other companies. We've had a few plants close in the states, pretty much kills the town, and the state takes a big hit. The legislation might have an unreasonable deadline, or the standards aren't realistic. I'd imagine that many of those cars ar for export, easy tax money.

If they want a cigarette to smoke on stage just roll your own tobacco free herbal cigarettes; use something tasty and healthy like dried mint or sage leaves.:D

moeburn said:
I can understand not smoking indoors in public buildings, but I never really understood the ban on outdoor smoking in public places.
It's probably because they litter the place with dog ends.

Problem with smoking of any kind on stage is the risk of fire. It's tightly regulated here. Any open flame of ember requires fire marshal approval. Usually requires at least two fire extinguishers standing by, manned by someone with fire training and no other duties.

Sorry for complely losing the thread here!!!!

Nigel Goodwin said:
Only just over two weeks now till it's banned in the UK in all public enclosed spaces :D

So no smoking at work, in work vehicles, in pubs, in clubs, in restaurants, in offices, in public buildings - should be a LOT better!.

When I worked at MTV, one of our IT managers left and went to work for London Tobacco.. Her free DAILY allowance for cigarettes was 400!!! Yes, 400 of the little cancer sticks were hers to puff away on each and every day! :eek:

Sorry for dropping off the original thread!

When I worked at MTV, one of our IT managers left and went to work for London Tobacco.. Her free DAILY allowance for cigarettes was 400!!! Yes, 400 of the little cancer sticks were hers to puff away on each and every day!

Sorry for dropping off the original thread!

Wonder why the person she replaced quit (or died)? They must like new staff regularly! :s 400 is insane! Maybe they expect her to give out some free samples?

"Hey, little boy, do you want some free samples?"

Filthy habbit! The tobacco companies have money, and they know how to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back