Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fcc rules ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

Ok, I have a guy who currently he has a unit that broadcast from a home to the street for potential customer's wanting info on an AM band. And yes, he sells real estate. He want's to put it on a car and make it mobile for another use.

Question : will this violate fcc reg's on it's current use or will it require a licence to broadcast ect ?

kv

I don't know what the rules are in the US but it sounds like he's breaking them.

The device should have an FCC sticker on it. Just look up what the conditions of use are under whatever FCC code it was approved. If it doesn't have a sticker, it is possibly illegal anyway. John

The US rules have specific guidelines about what an unlicensed transmitter can do. Most of it is in **broken link removed**. AM radio band is in paragraph 15.219. But the basic idea is you may not interfere with anyone, you may not complain if someone interferes with you, and a useful signal to about 300 feet is probably legal.

This is a layman's summary, if you need the actual rules follow the pointer.

Assuming it is legal in the first place*, the FCC doesn't care about the specific use it is put to, so moving it from being a real estate advertising transmitter to being something else in a car is OK. They do require that the unit continues to meet the technical requirements, which were met by the builder of the unit (presumably), and that the total length of all the wire coming out of the unit (including antenna, ground lead and transmission lines) not exceed 3 meters in length. As mentioned, you are always subject to the part 15 commandment: "thou shalt not interfere with a licensed service" so choose your AM frequency carefully to not transmit over top of a regular AM station.

* if there is no FCC statement on the label or in the user manual, it is probably not "legal" anyway, in which case your question is moot.

Last edited:
Assuming it is legal in the first place*, the FCC doesn't care about the specific use it is put to, so moving it from being a real estate advertising transmitter to being something else in a car is OK. They do require that the unit continues to meet the technical requirements, which were met by the builder of the unit (presumably), and that the total length of all the wire coming out of the unit (including antenna, ground lead and transmission lines) not exceed 3 meters in length. As mentioned, you are always subject to the part 15 commandment: "thou shalt not interfere with a licensed service" so choose your AM frequency carefully to not transmit over top of a regular AM station.

* if there is no FCC statement on the label or in the user manual, it is probably not "legal" anyway, in which case your question is moot.

I did some talking and the device sold to real-estate people has some trouble when ever someone come into contact with the antenna and has to be re-adjusted I think maybe it would jumping all over the bands. We also found a company on the internet that sells a device that is sold to truckers or trucking company's advertising their products. Cost may out way benefit.

Edit: Thanks to Everyone.

Last edited:
If the transmitter is FCC "type approved" as a mobile device that's one thing. That would cover handhelds and mobiles mounted in vehicles, ships, aircraft, and other airborne items. Stationary, or "fixed location transmitters" are "type approved" as such and are licensed with the intentions that they remain at a specific location (for a variety of reasons).
Thusly, I would assume a xmttr. designed and used specifically for real estate sales is expected to remain stationary, even though technically it's a temporary location until the realtor determines its relocation... making it "sort of mobile", but in reality, again classified as "fixed location". It's a gray area and if it were me, I would err on the side of caution, by not using it as a truly mobile device.

Assuming it is legal in the first place*, the FCC doesn't care about the specific use it is put to, so moving it from being a real estate advertising transmitter to being something else in a car is OK.
Oh contrare! The FCC very much cares about specific usage of transmitters. Emission type, location and surrounding terrain, effective radiated power, and antenna length/height are critical points that are calculated in the formula for labeling the TYPE ACCEPTANCE by the FCC. Basically, different rules for different applications.

Oh contrare! The FCC very much cares about specific usage of transmitters. Emission type, location and surrounding terrain, effective radiated power, and antenna length/height are critical points that are calculated in the formula for labeling the TYPE ACCEPTANCE by the FCC. Basically, different rules for different applications.

I should have been more clear that my comments began with the assumption that the device falls under part 15 rules as an intentional radiator. The short range being used gave me that impression. If the device is not a part 15 device, then I agree with you.

PS: the correct spelling is "au contraire!"

Last edited:
PS: the correct spelling is "au contraire!"
That's if you're French!
BTW, I'd rather be incorrect for misspelling a French phrase than incorrect on assuming a transmitter can be put to any use my whims so desire.

That's if you're French!
BTW, I'd rather be incorrect for misspelling a French phrase than incorrect on assuming a transmitter can be put to any use my whims so desire.

You forgot to say Nee ner nee ner na na :)

More like nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

**broken link removed**

Found the supplier (Cost way to much)

More like nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

**broken link removed**

Getting back to the heart of the matter. I have found one that meets the required chapter 15 the only problem is the installation part is to meet all design specs antenna wire chassis ect. Nothing that would permit walking or cross band or distance limitations.

However, this thing is about $700.00 us. Then it has to be installed by a licensed Contractor.

Venturing into about $1500.00 Total including any printing to be done to show the Channel location.

Sounds like to me not enough bang for the buck.(American Phrase) Cost prohibitive.

How about this : When your outgo exceeds your income. Your upkeep is your downfall.

But this has been an eye opener for me. I didn't know how complicated it would be. Nor the cost of such a Venture.

I really do appreciate the Contributions. kv :)

Paragraph 15.23 allows for a person to build up to five devices for his own use, employing "good engineering practices to meet the specified technical standards to the greatest extent practicable." It doesn't require certification.

Parts cost for such a home built unit of low quality can be as little as two dollars (exclusive of battery). You can buy kits for ten dollars and upwards. The $700 price is crazy, as is the licensed contractor requirement.

Last edited:
For his own use, not commercial broadcasting. Even if 'his own use' is to commercially broadcast it does not grant him the rights to do so, as he's reaching out to other people which is not personal use. You could gloss over this if say broadcasting on licensed FM bands to transmit personal audio through the air to a personal listening device (like a car radio as many part 15 compliant devices are capable of) but the same could not be said for broadcasting the same signal with the intent to broadcast it to other people for ANY purpose, commercial or otherwise. In general if it comes down to court a court will rule against an individual in these manners if there's obviously no truly practical personal use and there is a higher degree of likelihood that the device was intended for public broadcast. It's going to be very hard to prove that a device was designed for personal use if it uses more than a couple milliwatts of power, unless it's under a legal license.
All that said, the FCC doesn't usually have goon squads out, anyone intending to broadcast over the air should keep these rules and guidelines and do whatever they can to avoid polluting the air with unintended broadcasts.

Last edited:
A device with a practical range of 300 feet "for commercial broadcasting" is an oxymoron in my eyes, and probably the FCC. Even so, although I am not a lawyer, I see no commercial use prohibition in any of 47CFR part 15.

I was chief engineer from 1968 through 1971 of a carrier-current college station that covered about 7000 students with a distributed power of more than 250W, but (apparently) met the emissions requirements of Part 15 and nobody ever bothered us. We were clearly commercial, with about half of our budget paid by "spots" (advertising).

Considering the abundance of data and supplies for AM and FM transmitters, anyone can design and build their own transmitter. If you keep the RF output below 150mW ( CB radio: 4W or less), and on an unused frequency, short-range transmission should be satisfactory for this application. You may not need a license for this low-power application.

But this has been an eye opener for me. I didn't know how complicated it would be. Nor the cost of such a Venture. :)
Hey, what can I say other than we're dealing with the FCC (read as government bureaucracy) :(

Well said, Sceadwian - your reply is spot on! (thought I'd use a little British lingo for my friends across "the big pond").

Mneary - carrier current transmissions are different than radiated air-wave signals (albiet they both are radiated).

shokjok - one cannot just simply snatch a diagram off the Internet and build themselves a transmitter (even at a lowly 150mw) and use it on any frequency they desire. The big concern is interference to critical communications... even from first and second order harmonics/spurs.

HiTech's right. What shokjok said could get someone into a lot of trouble.

There are RF TX/RX modules which anyone may buy and include in designs, because the RF stages are all designed by licensed designers and approved for use. That's fine. But the rules do not allow anybody to just design and use their own RF transmitters without appropriate licensing, for exactly the reasons HiTech mentioned.

Torben

But the rules do not allow anybody to just design and use their own RF transmitters without appropriate licensing, for exactly the reasons HiTech mentioned.
In the US this is simply not true. See 47CFR paragraph 15.23. FCC approval is not required for "home-built" devices, but they must follow the technical rules, and must not cause interference.

shokjok - I see that you are not in the US. One cannot use just any frequency in either country. The permissible frequencies and power levels for the US are listed in FCC regulations. There are about 100 frequencies and bands where one may not operate. I don't see anywhere that a home-built 4W CB device is allowed.

Torben - You appear to be correct. For Canada. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, RSS210 does not appear to allow home-built transmitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back