Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fcc rules ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US this is simply not true. See 47CFR paragraph 15.23. FCC approval is not required for "home-built" devices, but they must follow the technical rules, and must not cause interference.

shokjok - I see that you are not in the US. One cannot use just any frequency in either country. The permissible frequencies and power levels for the US are listed in FCC regulations. There are about 100 frequencies and bands where one may not operate. I don't see anywhere that a home-built 4W CB device is allowed.

Torben - You appear to be correct. For Canada. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, RSS210 does not appear to allow home-built transmitters.

Sorry, you're right. I have only studied up for the Canadian ham license. Still haven't taken the darn tests though. The local club holds courses (theory and Morse) with exams in the spring, so if I have the time I hope to do that next year. Otherwise I'll just try to find a local Elmer with a couple of hours on his/her hands.

Torben

In the US this is simply not true. See 47CFR paragraph 15.23. FCC approval is not required for "home-built" devices, but they must follow the technical rules, and must not cause interference.
Yes you are correct - that jogged my memory after reading that. As long as the technical specs/rules/reg are followed to the letter, the home-built device is considered to be "type accepted" without actual inspection by an authorized FCC agent.

I have to confess that I cheated. :D Part of my job was to always understand the current state of Part 15 and CISPR22. :( Although my colleagues had to interface with the FCC and others, it made their job easier if I understood their objectives.

So with a current copy of Part 15 always in my desk, it was difficult not to learn the rest.

Actually just to warn anyone that thinks otherwise, most of Sparkfuns modules are not FCC certified, they have a disclaimer on their site for a lot of the modules because many of them are sold without antennas and transmitters have to be certified with the antenna in order to be technically legal. I believe a few of their modules are FCC legal but I'd check their website. With most of their modules I wouldn't worry about the legality as the modules are all low power and if not certified they were designed to be certified so while they may not have gone through the full technical certification to be considered legal they're the same as the modules that have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back