Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Feeding mains cable into project box. Holding it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin mac

The last time I put a mains cable into a project box I was given these special plastic grips that went into the hole in the box first, then the cord is put through it and it's tightened to grip and hold the cord in place. Anyone know what the things are called so I can search for them?

A strain relief is translated "Zugentlastung" if you have to order at a German supplier.

You can make an effective strain relief without using any purchased material/device.

The picture shows how to do it. It is extremely strong. Just remove the sharp edges of the drilled holes.

Try it! You'll like it.

Boncuk

Attachments

• STRAIN-RELIEF.gif
    STRAIN-RELIEF.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
However, Colin, your description doesn't fit the operation of the Digi-Key part illustrated. The Digi-Key strain relief is such that you insert the cord into the strain relief, insert the "blade" into the slot and then (preferably using the special tool made for such things), squeeze it together and insert into a specially-shaped hole (round with two opposing flats) and release. Regular combination pliers can be used to insert the things, but you do bugger up the plastic. And they will work with a round hole, but will turn in the hole.

There are different sizes for different size line cords. I have bunches of them because I'm a scavenger and tend to save every part when scrapping out a piece of equipment.

Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back