Fire in a server roon. Smoke/soot damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I was his boss, I would be handing him his p45 for making that kind of comment, if he was in any way serious. Now if he had said, let's clean up the servers, retrieve our data and pass the working equipment onto someone that can make good use of it until it croaks, I would have been buying him lunch and patting him on the back
The installation is insured, I assume, so why worry about the replacement cost. Personally speaking, I would see this as a benefit and an opportunity for the company to upgrade and streamline the network at very little cost. If the boss is really bothered about money, tell him I'll give him $50 for his smoke damaged switches

Hi

I don't know what applications or data the servers are hosting, but based on the photos you've posted...I'd replace the servers....I wouldn't trust them to operate reliably. In addition, even if they work, since they have been fire damaged, the manufacturer will void the warranty and won't provide support.

HDD's have a HEPA filter inside air flow and on outer surface for pressure equalization . do not vacuum on the seal or ferrofluidic bearing spindle grease may get on the platters and cause head crash. I know that some dust is small enough to get past filters and possibly fire retardant fluid/gas, but not sure about soot. In my case ceramic tile sanding dust in kitchen caused soft/ hard errors enough to not boot in den, which fortunately recovered after purging for a week.

We always used Halon to get insured in our server rooms. Handle HDD's with care.

Boards would need ultrasonic bath cleaning and crystals sealed or replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…