Firetrucks need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

soperfie

Looking for plans for a multi pattern headlight flasher aka Wig Wag. I can build following instructions just can't design. My volunteer fire department is poor and can't afford all the fun toys so I'm going to try this myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Start a bake sale, raise money for a proper lightbar. Or try your local WalMart and buy one of those blue light special lights (or was that k-mart)
ebay sells em for $299

Better discription ! Might help.

Describe what it does in detail. You may get a better response.

At that point you will be able to tell if your over your head or not. I know I am.

............. Good luck !

Last edited:
I didn't say we had no lights. I would just like to have the multipattern wig wags is all. Bill does this mean I can put you down for supplying a dozen cookies for the sale. Great Appreciate the support

Threads ?

Be patient there are a lot of old timer's here who may not have seen your thread.

They could be in another forum helping other people don't be discouraged yet.

The forums get al sorts of lightbar request, usually it's cop wannabees. A simple rotating light should do the trick in a rural area. As long as it looks and sounds like a firetruck people should pull over.

Bill believe it or not I get more response from just wig wags on my POV than when I'm code3 in a firetruck. They see the flashing headlights because they are more at eye level than the lightbar on top of the cab.

$299 is a bargain compared to a DIY lightbar. A 48" rugged waterproof case, the circuit board, controller, xenon strobes or scads of daylight LEDs.
Here's a bunch on eBay. Some cheap ones too.
**broken link removed**

Work around a simple circuit with a 555 IC in it which can drive 2 small relays alternatively.

With these control the supply line to your beacons.

If you want more options, than drive a 4017 via a 555 which will give you 10 different outputs.

By means of a diode array at the 4017 outputs you can drive your driver transistors and set different flashing patterns which you can drive relays with.

Regards, Raymond

do a google search for rsg engineering it will come up with rsg-ontop
they do all bits for emergency vehicles, ok they are UK based but I'm sure tey'll ship to you.
good luck.
matt

I just had a look on there and what you need is the item: SWT-125-03 EZ Flasher Unit RSG Price £ 31.20
RRP £ 33.28 (save 6%!). not sure what that is in US$ but give them a shout!
Matt

multi pattern headlight for firetrucks

Hi! Think i can help you with that, Working at Floby rescue systems in sweden
we have design all kind of eletro solutions in our trucks.
can send you chematic of system, you can build our self!!
Digital or relay ???
think it will help you, please reply

Attachments

• Img_1654_utg2.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 156
Yes Please

Hiya.
I would love the tech diagrams on how to make it that would be great thank you, oh and can I please have the truck too???? lol
Matt

Why not contact your local police authority and put in a request for a flashing headlight system from a wrecked police car? How many crashes or high speed chases do they get involved in? You are a volunteer firefighter, you have these resources available to you.

Hi,

What, no sirens?

I dont think this should be too hard to build. As someone said, a 555 and
driver and relays, or a 555 and flip flop and two MOSFETs. Should be able
to get this up and running in less than a day.
If you want real fancy patters, use a microcontroller instead of 555.

Bill is right on the DIY lightbar. Cheaper just to by one. (but tones of fun to make your own) Been there and done that.

If you want a multi pattern headlamp flasher, your best option would be to use a micro-controller to control the patterns and use relays to handle the switching of the actual headlights. A 555 timer would be an easy route but would only give you a steady left/right wig-wag. Adding a 4017 light RODALCO said will give you a few more options, but not near what a micro can do.

I always say this when people ask about warning light circuits - just fair warning to the OP and anyone that sees this in the future.

A. DO NOT USE THEM TO IMPERSONATE AN EMERGENCY VEHICAL!

B. Using any flashing lights while on a public road is against the law for the most part in the USA. Even if your not trying to impersonate a cop, driving with flashing headlights in illegal.

C. If you are in-experianced in electronics and do not select the proper components, there is a pretty good chance you circuit will fail in short order. Make sure you fuse everything and make sure the headlights will still operate properly with the factory switch. I'm not saying not to try it and learn, just don't put too much faith in it being as reliable as a factory built flasher, or install it in such a fasion that could cause headlight failure at night o the way to a call.

Bill believe it or not I get more response from just wig wags on my POV than when I'm code3 in a firetruck. They see the flashing headlights because they are more at eye level than the lightbar on top of the cab.

I'd have to agree with this. I've never driven code 3 in anything, but I know the first thing I usually notice when I see an emergency vehical running code 3 on the road is the wig wag headlights. From a distance on the highway during the day all you can see is the headlights flashing until your pretty close.

Hi.

I think the Micro is the best option for you, but this of course requieres you to know something about programming. If you know the basics you can do it, and get a very good wig-wag with a lot of flashing patterns. The only other thing that you need is to know your fair share about car lights and electronics. Because making a wig wag for a car that has daytime running lights may be different.

Take a look at this guy´s website, he built his own light bar and that will sure help you.

EDGE (custom LED)

well he did´t buid it from scratch, just make an excelent upgrade.

Hope you get it right and have better emergency warning lights so can help you out at work. If you are interested in buying used but in good shape emergency lughting i have a couple of links that might help i did some research in the past about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…