Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First Project Went Well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnivore

Hey All,

tried my first project this week, (first project not done on a radio shack learning kit that is) and it went pretty well. :D

I found a tutorial online for a Bench-Top Power supply and thought to myself "Hey, I gotta have me one of them there power supplies".

anyway it works great, the tutorial is pretty simple and you end up with something usefull when your done.

output is +12V, -12V, +5V, and -5V. below is a pic of my finished product.

HPIM0157.JPG

P.S. tutorial can be found here: https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

Banana jacks might have been better for power out, but looks like a nice box.

I like the output jacks you used, though I agree with Sceadwian, banana jacks are a very good idea, so having both types seems like a good bet. Personally, I built a bench power supply just like yours and used banana jacks, the type where the plastic part unscrews so you can wrap a wire around the post and clamp it down, as well as use banana plugs in the top. However, my jacks are mounted right into the metal using insulated washers, so I have to be quite careful about not letting stray strands of the wires touch the case or other posts when used this way. I've always meant to cut out a section of the case, and replace it with a piece of plastic and bolt the banana jacks through that instead. Those speaker wire terminals you used seem like a great solution for connecting stripped wire ends to the power supply without any hassle. When I get some spare time and find myself in a radio shack again, I think I'll pick up one of those terminal blocks and add it to mine!

evandude said:
... the type where the plastic part unscrews so you can wrap a wire around the post and clamp it down, as well as use banana plugs in the top.
Also known as a "binding post" ...
JB

The quick connect/disconnect the speaker style plugs adds is nice for drop in and drop out asignments. Not sure if that's a good idea for a 200 watt capable power supply though ;) I definitly prefer banana jacks with binding post bases.

Hey Carnivore, at least you succeeded on your own merits which is alot more than I can say for some of the twinkies that enter these forums. You saw a need and purpose in something for your hobby, followed the directions, and ended up with a usable workshop tool. Good for you.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back