Flashing LED using 555 timer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWT

I'm new to electronics, and I know this is basic stuff, but I still can't get the silly thing to work.

I've tried several different circuits, each one differing from the other.

I gave this one a bash, ( https://www.555-timer-circuits.com/flashing-led.html ) and it was the only circuit that my LED actually lit up. It lit up, but didn't flash. The video isn't very clear on where to put the components, but I think I managed to get them in the correct place.

Photo... https://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af9/mrcaptain/20120622_161853.jpg

I tried flipping the 555, switching the polarity of the capacitor and even using a different capacitor.

Can anyone spot where I've gone wrong?

In the photobucket picture it looks like you have the ic in backwards. There is a small indentation next to pin1, and that is where negative goes. You may have let the magic smoke out of your ic, so it might not work ever again.

Reactions: IWT
Adding to what Gerty said, your short red wire is in the wrong place. Reverse the IC and move the end of the red wire from pin 3 to pin 2.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had the IC the proper way to begin with, but on the youtube comment page, one of the pieces of advice was that it was in the wrong way, and to switch it, so I did.
The LED lights up with the IC indent on the left or the right.
I switched it the proper way, and it still lights, but doesn't blink.

The short red wire is in pin 2, is it not?

I'm confused now. lol.

EDIT... Looked at the picture, noticed the wire wasn't in pin2, so switched it. Still no blinking.

Last edited:
Thanks again HouseOFwax.
Still no flashing. The LED lights again, but alas, no flashing.
I'm guessing there is a problem somewhere, however, I've tried several different components, and still the same outcome.

Either you still have something connected wrong, you've destroyed the 555 or you need a 10nF capacitor from pin 5 to ground. I'd take it apart and start over and include the capacitor on pin 5.

**Back from the pub**
I've just assembled my own (post #5) circuit on a breadboard, and indeed the LED flashes, somewhat fast, but flashing all the same. I am using the same values, IE, 1K, 470K and 1uF. I then reversed the 555. The LED is on solid. Reversing the LED back where it should be, it's flashing again.

Mind you, I'm using a 5v supply. If you've built the circuit to the letter then KJ6EAD could be on the money with "you've destroyed the 555".

That said, 555s are pretty hardy units, over about 30 years, I think I may have killed about 3, and of thoes 30 years, it was most likely in the first few.

Don't give up.

(Actually, it started flashing before I'd connected pin 4 to +5v.)

^^^^ This circuit worked!!
Thanks for all the replies.

Suppose I should read more literature on electronics so I can diagnose where I was going wrong with all the other circuits.
At least I know my IC isn't gubbed. I already ordered a few more as well. Ah well, I'm sure I'll need them at some point.

Back to the books I go.

Many thanks for all the help and replies guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…