Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

flowchart layout enquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hero999 said:
Windows printers are quite frankly crap.

It makes no sense to use the main CPU for tasks like printing a time where tasks such as graphics and sound are increasingly been handeled by other processors. Also it means that people can't use them with free software.

It makes great commercial sense - it brings the cost of the printers right down! - because of Windows Printers you can now buy colour lasers for considerably less than black/white ones used to cost. In the old days 'real' printers cost a LOT of money, and you often had to upgrade the memory if you wanted to print a full page graphic on them!.

I suppose so, but I would never buy one, not unless it has Linux drivers at least.

Hero999 said:
I suppose so, but I would never buy one, not unless it has Linux drivers at least.

Obviously something you would need to check for, they normally provide Windows and Mac drivers - and isn't the new Mac based on Linux?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
It makes great commercial sense - it brings the cost of the printers right down! - because of Windows Printers you can now buy colour lasers for considerably less than black/white ones used to cost. In the old days 'real' printers cost a LOT of money, and you often had to upgrade the memory if you wanted to print a full page graphic on them!.

You beat me to the response. yes. that is totally correct. I just bought a canon printer for $99. Fantastic graphics and it has individual ink tanks for easier refilling. It make no sense to embed a graphics engine + ram + fonts in the printer when the PC can do it.

The real crime, er business model, is the cost of ink cartridges and the crap that some companies do to prevent refilling them.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Obviously something you would need to check for, they normally provide Windows and Mac drivers - and isn't the new Mac based on Linux?.
No..........

Oh, fine, it is UNIX based... :lol:

That doesn't mean that Linux can use drivers meant for Mac OS X though.

No matter how good the software is, they are still apples....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back