Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Formula seems 'illogical' Captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

angie1199

Hi,

I'm new to this lectronics and now I know why I failed to understand physics.

I want to build an astable 555 timer circuit. I read a lot of info on the web in various forms and found two formulae for working out the capacitor and resistor values. But it doesn't make sense!

Tspace = 0.7R2C

which I assume is Tspace = 0.7 x R2 x C

The next formula to get R2 (as I know Tspace is 1s) and the C(apacitor) is guessed at 10uF:

R2 = 1/(0.7 x 10)

The result they give is 143K resistor. But 1/(0.7 x 10) is 0.14285 (0.143)

So I got my 143 but it's a fraction not in the thousands.

What did I miss PLEASE?

Cancel that... See it's me,

Just found the answer. 1uF is 1/1000000th of a farad.

I though uF was the symbol for farad :(

angie1199 said:
Cancel that... See it's me,

Just found the answer. 1uF is 1/1000000th of a farad.

I though uF was the symbol for farad :(

If it's of any help?, the 'u' is supposed to be the greek letter 'mu', used as a prefix for 10 to the power of minus six.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I didn't attempt to show it because I've no confidence that the character will appear correctly on all computers - your's was fine on mine here though!.
yep i thought so ... the "u" is just to simplify the character rendering ( thus making it appear correctly on all compis )

Back to the original problem of finding the R & C for a given frequency, the time that the output is high is given by: T1 = 0.693(Ra + Rb)*C and the time that the output is low is given by: T2 = 0.693*Rb*C. The frequency is given by: 1/0.693/(Ra + 2*Rb)/C.

To restate the formula for the 555 in astable operation:
T1+T2=0.693(Ra+2Rb)C
F=1/T or F=1/((0.693(Ra+2Rb)C))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back