Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Freq divider by 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroRF

Hi,
I was reading this slide, and saw how they divide frequency by 4, which seems wrong to me.

Why did they connect Q1' with Q0'?

Does that make sense to you?

(Slide is from https://www.slideshare.net/DeepakFloria/divide-by-n-clock)

Thank you.
dff.jpg

No, just more crap posted on the internet by some "expert". Leave out the wire from Q0' to d0, and it becomes a Gray code counter with four states which will divide by four.

Er!!! No the second D type should be clocked by the first.. The way they have it Q1', Q0' and D0 will fry!!

No, if you do it like I said, it is a synchronous counter with the external clock going to both Clk inputs. The way Ian suggests turns it into a ripple counter, with its usual hazard problems.

DF28b.jpg

Last edited:
No, if you do it like I said, it is a synchronous counter with the external clock going to both Clk inputs. The way Ian suggests turns it into a ripple counter, with its usual hazard problems.
I tried it your way, I doesn't divide by four.... The ripple counter does.... Anywho the OP was right!!! doesn't work as shown!!

Opps!! Sorry Mike you are correct.... Just tried it again...

Last edited:
As you can see in the sim above, the Gray Code counter counts 01320132... The two outputs are in phase quadrature.

A "divider" is nothing but a counter. A counter is just a state machine. I learned how to design state machines long before I even heard of dividers. Your reference just muddies the water by talking about designing dividers as though it is a whole new discipline...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back