Frequency divider to get 457 kHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltzman

In my project I need 457 kHz (+/- 80 Hz) carrier frequency. As far as I know there is no fixed oscillator for that frequency (or any oscillator which output you can divide to get it).
I plan to use programmable crystal oscillator from Epson - series SG-8000 ( **broken link removed** ) and divide the output frequency by 4 or 8 with binary counter like 74HC393. The oscillator alone have frequency tolerance of at least 50 ppm so I need to do this in way that have small negative influence on output frequency. Power efficiency is also important.
Will it work? Are there better ways to solve it?
Thanks for every suggestion!

Why not get a cheap 1.828 MHz crystal oscillator (they're not hard to find) and divide by 4, using any simple divide by 4 counter.

Last edited:
Why not get a cheap 1.828 MHz crystal oscillator (they're not hard to find) and divide by 4, using any simple divide by 4 counter.
They are not that easy to get. Even in digi-key they are listed but unavailable and with price ~28$. Also I'm limited to what I can get in (or ship to) Poland.

what about a 555?

Hi!

Today I have been thinking about exactly the same.

Did you think about using a 555 ic? you can try with the LMC555 in astable operation to get the frequency you need. An it is more stable in temperature than other configurations:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/04/LMC555.pdf

By the way, are you thinking about making a cheap avalanche beacon? Because I'm trying it. Actually I think that both of us have read the same documents in the web Maybe we could join our efforts.

Hi guys,
Did you make progress on your projects ?
I'm thinking of using my avalanche transceiver to track the whereabouts of my cat in the garden (I don't know where the hell she goes sleeping).
I'm planning to attach a lightweight 457 MHz transceiver around her neck.
Bruno

The OP wanted a 457 KILOHERTZ oscillator, You are looking for a 457 MEGAHERTZ oscillator.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…