Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fu.... solder iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

I have bought two solder irons and the one (Aldi) sucked the first day and "ate" itself up in few hours :/ The second one (velleman) has been used quite alot and is quite good, but quite alot is nothing compared what I should use it for now I started electronic education. And now the top just felt off the good solder iron and it is impossible to use it for anything good.

It should be illegal to make stuff like this....

What solder iron is the best I can get? I am student and should use as less money as possible though still buy something usefull.

Weller is a good brand.

I'd recommend getting a temperature controlled iron and make sure it really is thermoregulated and not just a crappy phase controlled lamp dimmer.style controller.

Cheap tools are no good. I have used my Weller temperature-controlled soldering iron at home and another at work for 45 years and the one at home still works like new.

I found my Weller soldering iron in the garbage can at my first job. It needed a switch that was inexpensive. I used an old transformer to power it.
Its tips never get too hot so they last for years. It is so reliable that the same model has been sold for over 50 years and is still available.

There are good soldering stations and there are cheap soldering stations but there are no good cheap soldering stations. For a good controlled heat soldering station Weller has my vote as I have used them for years. Something like the WES51 will set you back about $135.00 (USD) but will serve you well as a good starter and last many years with good care. Additionally it uses the ET series of tips which are reasonable and offer a wide variety.

I would save some money and invest in something good. That means avoid a $29.95 controlled heat station.

Ron

There are good soldering stations and there are cheap soldering stations but there are no good cheap soldering stations. For a good controlled heat soldering station Weller has my vote as I have used them for years. Something like the WES51 will set you back about $135.00 (USD) but will serve you well as a good starter and last many years with good care. Additionally it uses the ET series of tips which are reasonable and offer a wide variety.

I would save some money and invest in something good. That means avoid a $29.95 controlled heat station.

Ron

thanks. That could very well be the one I buy. Though I can maybe buy an old from my school, I might be lucky.

Ron

I have found this WES for what look like under 100 danish kr and that equals 20$ Can this be the one you are talking about? SOLDER STATION ANALOG 50W - WES51

By the way, what does FU mean, I always thought it was Flame U or perhaps the F stands for something a bit more rude. :D

By the way, what does FU mean, I always thought it was Flame U or perhaps the F stands for something a bit more rude. :D

the bad word that starts with FU and end with a K

I was mad, cause it is the second solder iron that is completely impossible to work with I have had in 2 weeks, and I was in a middle of a project, so it made me even more mad cause I cant finish it unless I work hard, and that aint gonna happen

Last edited:
Lol, that's what I thought. :D

Last edited:
"fu...." is a normal way to express yourself in a "nice" way on the internet where swearing is against the rules in forums with selfrespect :)

Last edited:
Cool, I'm glad you found the edit button before Mr Moderator got there. :D

The one in this link is the WESD51 which is the digital version and a nice unit. At Digikey I am seeing a price of about $133.40 USD. The WES51 (less the D) is the analog version. I see that for $96.21. I have a few Weller systems and the WESD51 is a nice unit for the money.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back