Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Gear wheel Fault detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

guruparan.eee

I am trying to do a circuit which detects the missing tooth from a gear wheel and gives a output if the tooth is missing using a magnetic transducer ?

anyone help me please :)

Does the gear rotate at at one constant speed?

One way would be to use a phase locked loop locked to the normal tooth frequency. That would generate a clock edge that could be used to sample the missing tooth... You could do this in software inside a uController, too, i.e. compare the previous period between the two last teeth to a running average period.

One way would be to use a phase locked loop locked to the normal tooth frequency. That would generate a clock edge that could be used to sample the missing tooth... You could do this in software inside a uController, too, i.e. compare the previous period between the two last teeth to a running average period.

could you plese tell me what components i could use??

It would seem to be difficult to get a phase locked loop to lock in over "any speed".

The uController approach seems more feasible.

Assuming some reasonable range of speeds, like an automobile engine (say 500rpm to 10000 rpm), a PLL would work fine.

Why not do it simply? Use a 555 timer to make a missing pulse detector, like this one; Missing Pulse Detector
Such a missing pulse detector will only work for a fixed frequency, since the 555 time must be set to be slightly longer than the period between pulses. It won't work for a range of speeds as the OP desires.

Use two magnetic transducers so that when the gear is ok their output is identical. If one tooth is missing then at some point the output of the sensors will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back