Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good Anti Virus/Anti Spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
Awhile back, I got the spyware from hell. It pretended to be an anti-spyware program that finds all these spyware penatrations on my system, while ironially, it was the spyware! I finally blew it away with Malware Bytes. The real anti-spyware does a fantastic job of finding and eliminating infections. But is doesn't do such a great job of preventing them. Just had to run another scan tonight. As I"m typing this, I'm thinking we just had a thread on the subject not long ago, or am I just having a Deja-Vu moment?

Last edited:
hi D,
Which Browser are you using.?
Mozilla Firefox has lots of options and add ons.

Rogue security software or rogueware is a form of computer malware that deceives or misleads users into paying for the fake or simulated removal of malware, or that installs other malware. Rogue security software, in recent years (2008–2011), has become a growing and serious security threat in desktop computing.

The above quote was taken from here.

There is an entire family of that crap out there and I have yet to find a browser or AV software that is immune to it. I have seen it infect systems using just about every browser you can think of with just about every free and paid versions of anti virus software.

The two removal tools I have used with success have been Malware Bytes and Combo Fix and I generally run both. I actually keep both on my pen drive I carry around on my key chain. As good as Combo Fix is I have problems running it on 64 bit systems. I hear the new versions will run on 64 bit systems:

At this time ComboFix can only run on the following Windows versions:

Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows 2000 (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit/64-bit)
Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)

However, back on topic I have yet to find anything that will prevent the infection? :(

Ron

Hi Eric, I run plain old Windows Explorer.

Honestly, using IE is like walking around with a target painted on your head.

When "baddies" sit down to create viruses and spyware, the first thing they aim for is IE.

It is so simple and beneficial to use another browser. Opera or chrome are faster than most other browsers, and more secure.

The first line of defense against spyware and viruses is to do away with IE.

The incorporated background installation/upgrade coding for Microsoft makes it a bad idea for a web-browser. Also, having it incorporated into the file system makes it a double whammy.

Use a browser that is isolated from your file system.

As for spyware-virus programs, grisofts' avg has a free version and is quite secure.

free.avg.com

Get the free version, not the free trial of the paid version..unless you want the paid version.

AVG Free | Antivirus Download | Free Software | Worldwide

Having anti-virus, anti-spyware, social-networking protection and real-time link checking while browsing the interent keeps you from infected webpages.

All these options are in the free version.

Last edited:
It has to be said: Don't run 'doze...

:)

I do run the other stuff but just can't do everything I can with the Doz. How unusual The Crosh would suggest something other than Doz. :)

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back