Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good investment? (yes, another programmer...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

**broken link removed**

That is a crap load of stuff it can program! ;) Yes or no?

Sorry for the double post, again... My router is on its' last leg... :(

Marks256 said:
**broken link removed**

That is a crap load of stuff it can program! ;) Yes or no?

Sorry for the double post, again... My router is on its' last leg... :(

Not bad for ~ $50 USD

The design is based on the work at willem.org

It would be a good idea to go there and learn what you can first.

I would build/buy an ICD2 first if you are doing PICs.

Well, that is why i thought it would be a good investment because i want to do PICs, AND EEPROMs...

Marks256 said:
Well, that is why i thought it would be a good investment because i want to do PICs, AND EEPROMs...
It is not a debugger. Without an ICD you will have to use a simulator to debug your programs.

Chances are you will spend a lot more time working on the PICs then anything else. Could be wrong.

You have been looking at programmes for a while.
Do you have a working one for PICs?

It is not a debugger. Without an ICD you will have to use a simulator to debug your programs.

Chances are you will spend a lot more time working on the PICs then anything else. Could be wrong.

You have been looking at programmes for a while.
Do you have a working one for PICs

No. Not yet. :( I am almost done with the one i pointed out in another thread (**broken link removed**. I have to work this weekend, so it won't get done this week (unless i have a bit of spare time).

Really it is getting tiring (and i am sure people are sick of telling me what i should buy... :eek:). I want to get the RIGHT programmer the FIRST time. I hate spending money... I want to get the best-for-my-money programmer. bells and whistles are good, too. ;) Ok. Now. From everything people say, i need one with a debugger, and and in-circuit-programming (ICP), right? Keep in mind that i want to spend the LEAST amount of $ as possible... PICKit? ICD2? What?

I want to get the RIGHT programmer the FIRST time. I hate spending money... I want to get the best-for-my-money programmer. bells and whistles are good, too.
Marks, if this is what you want, get the ICD2. Really, even if you only used it as a programmer, it works well, and it works out of MPlab. I have another PIC programmer, but never use it because it takes propriety software; after you build your program in MP, you have to open this (not great) windows app to download to the chip. It is so nice to go build, then download to mcu... release from reset, and watch the thing run.

If you want a project to build at the same time, the ICD2 clone from Blue Room Electronics looks very well designed, and would make a nice weekend kit.

Or gain the right to hold your nose up - the nice Red White and Blue case with MPLAB trademark looks boss on the workbench.

I'd opt for one of Bill's kits, myself.

I have to agree with BeeBop in that an ICD2 is what you want. One of the Inchworm kits is the way to go. I suggest the Inchworm+.

It is a easy build and you can fix it if it ever breaks because you have a good set of schematics.

You can buy a PCB for either inchworm for $18 but unless you have a lot of the parts on hand get the kit.

Marks256 said:
Really it is getting tiring (and i am sure people are sick of telling me what i should buy... :eek:). I want to get the RIGHT programmer the FIRST time. I hate spending money... I want to get the best-for-my-money programmer. bells and whistles are good, too. ;) Ok. Now. From everything people say, i need one with a debugger, and and in-circuit-programming (ICP), right? Keep in mind that i want to spend the LEAST amount of $ as possible... PICKit? ICD2? What?

Buy the Inchwork+ kit, it's great quality, easy to build - and you've got a good chance it will work!. AND BUY A METER - NOW! - anyone on here without a meter should really be banned, and not having had one for a year is a hanging offence!!!!!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Buy the Inchwork+ kit, it's great quality, easy to build - and you've got a good chance it will work!. AND BUY A METER - NOW! - anyone on here without a meter should really be banned, and not having had one for a year is a hanging offence!!!!!.

yea, and no more transformer-switch experiments either!

BeeBop said:
Marks, if this is what you want, get the ICD2. Really, even if you only used it as a programmer, it works well, and it works out of MPlab. I have another PIC programmer, but never use it because it takes propriety software; after you build your program in MP, you have to open this (not great) windows app to download to the chip. It is so nice to go build, then download to mcu... release from reset, and watch the thing run.

If you want a project to build at the same time, the ICD2 clone from Blue Room Electronics looks very well designed, and would make a nice weekend kit.

Or gain the right to hold your nose up - the nice Red White and Blue case with MPLAB trademark looks boss on the workbench.

I'd opt for one of Bill's kits, myself.
I have to agree with BeeBop in that an ICD2 is what you want. One of the Inchworm kits is the way to go. I suggest the Inchworm+.

It is a easy build and you can fix it if it ever breaks because you have a good set of schematics.

You can buy a PCB for either inchworm for $18 but unless you have a lot of the parts on hand get the kit.

Ok. I will get the "inchworm+". No more questions asked. It is on my list of things to get. ;) Thanks. I will go with the kit.

Nigel Goodwin said:

I am getting my jameco order done soon. A meter is on my order form. ;) :p

Optikon said:
yea, and no more transformer-switch experiments either!

I am not making any promises... :)

Umm... Where could i buy the inchworm+ that takes personal checks or money orders? :eek:

I take it you don't have a credit card as you're under 18? Does your bank do debit cards? You can buy stuff online and everything except it doesn't involve borowing any money!

Failing that you could ask an older relative if they could buy it for you and you can pay them back.

Also have you tried ebay? Most sellers use PayPal which I believe accepts cheques.

Marks256 said:
Umm... Where could i buy the inchworm+ that takes personal checks or money orders? :eek:
As far as I know DIPMICRO is the only way you can get an Inchworm+ unless you want to travel to Canada. Roman from DIPMICRO posts here. I am fairly sure he will take a money order. Drop em some email or give em a phone call.

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
I take it you don't have a credit card as you're under 18? Does your bank do debit cards? You can buy stuff online and everything except it doesn't involve borowing any money!

No, my bank doesn't do credit cards. Actually, i asked about that a few days ago. The only thing they do is ATM cards. :(

Hero999 said:
Failing that you could ask an older relative if they could buy it for you and you can pay them back.

I tried, but my mom keeps making up excuses...

Hero999 said:
Also have you tried ebay? Most sellers use PayPal which I believe accepts cheques.
Oddly enough, there aren't any inchworm+'s on ebay...

As far as I know DIPMICRO is the only way you can get an Inchworm+ unless you want to travel to Canada. Roman from DIPMICRO posts here. I am fairly sure he will take a money order. Drop em some email or give em a phone call.

Unless i find something else, i think that will be my only option for now...

Thanks. ;)

Marks256 said:
Do any of the other sellers accept PayPal?

No, my bank doesn't do credit cards. Actually, i asked about that a few days ago. The only thing they do is ATM cards. :(
If you're that unhappy with them close your account ant move to a bank that does debit cards.

I tried, but my mom keeps making up excuses...
Tell her that she should be supporting you with electronics as it's an educational hobby which will help you do well in school and get a good job.

Failing that suck up to a teacher, so what if you get called a teacher's pet, if your teacher can help you in the quest for a PIC programmer!:D

Last edited:
Hero999 said:
Do any of the other sellers accept PayPal?

Well, yes. Almost all people on ebay accept PayPal. I mean nobody i selling an inchworm+...

Marks256 said:

There is a crapload of ICD2 clones on eBay. Bill (Inchworm author) says they are all bad, but that's not an objective opinion, or is it ? ;) I have a USB based ICD2 clone (as 180134037406) and it works. It occasionally power-surges USB so I asked the Chines guys who make it to decrease filter caps or install small 1-2ohm resistor into USB power path. I am not sure if they troubleshooted the problem. However, this occurs only on connecting to USB, if that goes, you are fine.

I already accepted US money order without problem. I will inquire with my bank on risks associated with personal checks, but for now they are a no. I believe sending cash in the envelope is legal on this continent.

Of course PayPal and credit card is my preferred method. I had a customer in Germany who won one of my auctions, he got himself pretty sweet deal - an LCD for $1.26 - and he was going to wire-transfer the payment to my account ;) I told him about the cost and since he would pay his ass off on fees for various payment methods, I offered him to cancel the auction without reporting unpaid item to eBay. He eventually opened a PayPal account ;)

dipmicro said:
There is a crapload of ICD2 clones on eBay.

Clones, yes, but not the "real deal". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back