Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got bitten tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old house circa '65 in Winnipeg when my 14yr old nephew moved in with his Swiss toothbrush charger, I made him by instructions, knockout a hole and install a GFCI in the bathroom.

Then I made the final connections... Live.

It was his first real home repair.

One wierd thing I did was I opened up a 30 A outlet at work, pulled out the wires and connected it to a HUGE 200
A MIG/TIG welder. It didn;t look so hot, but only a 1/4" SS line had to be welded. "Temporary Power".

Then I needed a way to activate some solenoid valves on a vacuum chamber (hi vac (Cryopumped), rough, vent) until I could repair the valve controller. I stuck the wires into the outlets of a switched outlet strip. It worked for the few hours I needed and it kept the machine operational. I know I did it twice for two different systems. It could have been a diffusion pumped system.

I remember the hair standing up on my arms and head with a tickle when I powered a 50MVA transformer with 100kVdc on top to test the insulation and walking outside the safety fence created this whereas 100kV ac does not as the DC charge leakage currents are higher with DC modulated by 120Hz rectifier. which created the tingle sensation on my scalp..

Even more interesting was the bugzap sound on the wall every second 100 ft away due the same E field. tick tick.... until I ground some floating rails mounted on the wall with a tiny wire to earth ground. It was annoying sound for some. Meanwhile we were 10 ft away outside the fence.

At no time was I nor anyone else helping me with my experiment at risk.

For a while I felt what Benjamin Franklin must have felt.

lucky.

even tho the fence was grounded , you could still get a zap from touching the epoxy paint.

Similiar to touching an old TV tube made from leaded glass for both Xray and ESD reasons.

Last edited:
How's life Fez? Whats happening in your part of the world?

Regards,
tv

I remember the hair standing up on my arms and head with a tickle when I powered a 50MVA transformer with 100kVdc on top to test the insulation and walking outside the safety fence created this whereas 100kV ac does not as the DC charge leakage currents are higher with DC modulated by 120Hz rectifier. which created the tingle sensation on my scalp..

Even more interesting was the bugzap sound on the wall every second 100 ft away due the same E field. tick tick.... until I ground some floating rails mounted on the wall with a tiny wire to earth ground. It was annoying sound for some. Meanwhile we were 10 ft away outside the fence.

At no time was I nor anyone else helping me with my experiment at risk.

For a while I felt what Benjamin Franklin must have felt.

lucky.

even tho the fence was grounded , you could still get a zap from touching the epoxy paint.

Similiar to touching an old TV tube made from leaded glass for both Xray and ESD reasons.

You are doing good work here Tony. Many reps and few messages :cool:

Throwing another one your way:woot:

How's life Fez? Whats happening in your part of the world?
apparently, still alive :) i joined local ''club of ee hobbyists'' so far, pretty interesting place, good thing my buddy invited me! fee is only 10€/month, and that includes pretty much all.
Nothing interesting found for tearing apart, except cash tester, which had bunch of IR-stuff and so on. (i do have pictures of it, just need to make article of it).
Oh, and one bigger project is almost done: 8-freguency-band light organ, made completely without microcontroller, all by discrete components. Just need to buy case & solder MANY components....

^^^no more burnt hair on your head :p

Jeeperz...I really wish I could of have found ANYONE here as enthusiastic as you are to learning the electronics thing.

No takers here. I would have you up to speed in no time.
And than in a few Months you would be teaching me stuff...

Keep strong buddy and stay well,
tv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back