Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

grommets for enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueteeth

Hi,

Wasn't really sure where to put this, guess it losely falls under 'electronics chat'.

I am currently constructing a device (box on a jig) that will be in a very 'rugged' enviroment. ie: people will be smashing it against everything, and generally being quite abusive with it. It's a die cast aluminium enclosure, 1.8mm thickness, with a heavy duty switch and metal LED bezel.....we're winning so far. There are 3 cables that exit this box. 3mm diameter (awful things, but I can't change them).

My problem is that I can find plenty of glands and grommets that require a 'hole' to mount them, but...the 'end user' wishes to easily replace the cables should they break/wear/strech/snap. At one end, they have a moulded proprietary connector, then they go into the box, to a 4-way crimp connector...box connectors are significantly larger than the cable diameter. What I would like is a rubber grommet (or strain relief type thing) that has a square mounting.

By this I mean, instead of having to 'thread' the cable through a hole (and then fitting the crimp housing on the end), the end user could simply take off the lid of the box, and slide in another grommet-equipped cable...into a 'slot' cut out of the top edge of the side of the box. The lid would then hold this in place once screwed down. So, the replacement cables, would come with the grommet already on them, meaning the end user simply slots it in, then plugs in one end to the PCB (inside the box) and them other end into its app.

The ONLY example of this I have seen is on PSU enclosures, such as these:
**broken link removed**

Both the grommets shown in the above link (at the bottom of the page) are the sort of thing I require. I sincerely hope someone knows what I mean here, its surprisingly hard to explain.

Cheers,

Blueteeth

Last edited:
Hey there eric, somehow I knew you'd reply :D

Yep those things look spot on! But..I fear they will only sell those in the thousands...I need about 30 :D Still, thanks for finding a better example, I could use their terminology to google, as I don't know much about cable mountings (glands grommets etc..).

Cheers mate :)

Blueteeth

Blueteeth said:
Hey there eric, somehow I knew you'd reply :D

Yep those things look spot on! But..I fear they will only sell those in the thousands...I need about 30 :D Still, thanks for finding a better example, I could use their terminology to google, as I don't know much about cable mountings (glands grommets etc..).

Cheers mate :)

Blueteeth

hi,
Why not ask them for a few development samples, say about 30;)

IIRC Maplins do sell that type in one's???

**broken link removed**

heh, yep, I've just ordered a load! They also do the 'smaller' grommet, which appear to be very similar, but accept 3mm round cable (spot on). My customer will pay for development costs, so I'm just ordering some from multiple outlets to test them. I think I will indeed ask for 'development samples', as this project may go on a much larger scale in a few months.

Those ones in your link, the ones I used as an example, the drawing is crap but I did find the exact same ones on Rapidonline.com - thankfully they have a better line drawing, its designed for flat(ish) cables, 2x4 I tihnk, but I'm sure we could use them, it'll just be a tighter fit, which is a bonus.

Cheers for your help eric, it seems with your help, I've sorted my own problem lol.

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back