Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GUI help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

My senior design asks for me to build a GUI of some sort that will, when buttons are pressed, communicate through USB to a PSOC (Programmable System on a Chip) which will then transmit wirelessly to a reciever 10 meters away which is waiting instructions from the computer where the GUI is.

My question is what would be a good language to make the GUI in, and what program would also be fairly easy to do this in since I am scrapped on time and have not coded since freshman year.

Any info to get me started and going on this project in the right direction would be awesome and would really relieve some stress.

Thank You

BASIC, QBASIC, QB, Visual BASIC, C, C++, Pascal, COBAL, PEARL, ASSEBMLY. There are many many more. They are all good, if you know how to use them.

LabView if you have access to it. It's just like wiring up a schematic.

Marks256 said:
BASIC, QBASIC, QB, Visual BASIC, C, C++, Pascal, COBAL, PEARL, ASSEBMLY. There are many many more. They are all good, if you know how to use them.

You missed out Delphi?, probably one of the best for it? - it's often used to write the GUI for C++ programs.

You need an embedded operating system, like Windows CE or Linux, the latter is free.

Like Nigel said,
Delphi (Pascal) and Borland C++ Builder (C++) are the most common GUI writers for Pascal and C++.

You can use, instead of VCL, CLX library of C++ Builder to create a crossplataform GUI.

I've got a preference for free tools, so I tend to use the FLTK toolkit along with Cygwin/G++ (i.e. C++ language). It's good for small self-contained programs.

If you are up against a deadline and only need to do a *very* simple GUI, you might be able to use python, or some other scripting language. It'll handle buttons and input fields, but don't expect a lot of spiff.

PYTHON!!!

so quick and soo simple!!!
python+pyGTK is soo quick to knock a GUI together

I am at present writing a GUI to communicate with a custom controller-board (for a 225kVA inverter) via USB.
We are using an FTDI chip so we can use a virtual-comms (and I have loads of python+COMM scripts)

for you you might need a bit more low-level and there is a pyUSB module that gives direct access to the USB

Basically as far as GUI is concern and pyGTK
you just use GLADE to kind of "draw" the layout (that gets saved as a *.glade file) and within the python code that *.glade file is referenced and functions are attached to certain "signals"

trust me when I say it is easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back