Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HC14 (and HC132) Schimitt inv threshold variations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styx

If you look at the trip threasholds for the Schmitt triggers, over temperature they do not vary that much (~100mV). BUT the biggest variant is between chips

reading the datasheets it puts the min threshold at say 1.2V and the max at 3.1V

IF you get a 1.2V chip then across temp it would be 1.1 to 1.3V
but the next chip could be at 3.1V!!!

is there any hysteresis chip with a more consistant level? (comparator-based schmitt not really an option)

Cmos Schmitt-trigger inputs are not designed for accuracy, only for speeding up the transitions of slow signals. The thresholds also change a lot with the supply voltage.

You could put two inverters in series then add positive feedback with two resistors. It will have threshold voltages near half the supply voltage.

user1453 said:

Unfortunetly comparator-based Schmitt's take too much relestate on my board.
I have this board working with HC14-based schmitts (just to add some delays into the cct). But as I found there is quite a big spread between chips.

They are ok for timing, just not at a production level it seems (some form of calibration would be needed which is not really an option)

So the only solutions seem to be
1) put a CPLD down (clocking at 10MHz, after ~1us of delay in a few places) and create a simple state-machine, you can still just about get 20pin PLCC CPLD (lattice's GAL chips seem the way)

2) this "feedback" idea of AudioGuru's
@ AudioGuru, so just to clarify

Yes the threshholds vary with supply voltage as well, but that is fairly firm.
So you say two Schmitt's in series and then a feedback across both of them? If you say this five a level ~ 50% of the rail then at least that is more consistant, I will look into this thanks

Don't use two Schmitts in series. Use ordinary inverters like from a 74HC04. Then a 10k resistor from the output to the input for positive feedback and a 2k input resistor. It will switch with input voltages of about 2.0V and 3.0V when there is a 5.0V supply.

Two HC04 sections and two resistors probably takes up as much room as a 555. Plus, if you're using them as delays, the low input resistance is inconvenient.
What was wrong with Hero's suggestion?

Ron H said:
Two HC04 sections and two resistors probably takes up as much room as a 555. Plus, if you're using them as delays, the low input resistance is inconvenient.
What was wrong with Hero's suggestion?

The main thing that is wrong with a dedicated comparator schmitt is the PCB footprint.
I have to use -55C to +125C components which isolates me to DIP's for a few things, one of those few things is comparators (logic is avail in SOIC), and the one in particular is the LM119. and this is only a dual-package.

Since I need 3off of these "delays" I would need 2 extra DIP14 packages for the space of one SOIC-14 (I already have one dual-comparator package, both comparator setup as schmitt)

I am actually tempted to go for the GAL route and create a state-machine to get my timing

thanks anyway

Styx said:
The main thing that is wrong with a dedicated comparator schmitt is the PCB footprint.
I have to use -55C to +125C components which isolates me to DIP's for a few things, one of those few things is comparators (logic is avail in SOIC), and the one in particular is the LM119. and this is only a dual-package.

Since I need 3off of these "delays" I would need 2 extra DIP14 packages for the space of one SOIC-14 (I already have one dual-comparator package, both comparator setup as schmitt)

I am actually tempted to go for the GAL route and create a state-machine to get my timing

thanks anyway
**broken link removed** (CMOS) is theoretically available in military grade, in a TSSOP package. It is still, of course, only one per package.

If you need a dual chip, the TS556 is also available in military grad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back