Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heat measuring component

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonTHK

Hellor. I am looking for a good heat measuring component. I know there are several different ones, but maybe someone knew a specific good one.
It shall be used for measuring heat differences 2 places approximately 10 cm away from each others on an almost flat surface. I therefore want it to be quite good at measuring heat at one specific location, to focus measuring heat on one spot.
I will ofcourse be using 2 of these components.
If there is other tricks to do this, please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
Contact or non-contact type? Just something I can measure voltage from :) or maybe current.
What temperature range? 10-60 degree
What range persision? I am not sure what you mean, but the most importance is that it measure difference on the surface measured from 2 different places and not the precision of the heat.

Last edited:
Thermistors are probably the simplest/cheapest if precision is unimportant.

Contact or non-contact type? Just something I can measure voltage from :) or maybe current.
What temperature range? 10-60 degree
What range persision? I am not sure what you mean, but the most importance is that it measure difference on the surface measured from 2 different places and not the precision of the heat.

This is the data sheet for the LM35 temperature sensor. You may want to read it. There are also temperature sensors called "thermistors" as Alec points out, you may want to Google Thermistor Circuits. Based on your post I would suggest the LM35 as the data sheet has schematics and it is extremely easy to use.

Ron

I knew the lm35, I just thought there might be something else, something that could measure more directly on a surface. But I guess the lm35 will be ok :) thanks for the help!

I knew the lm35, I just thought there might be something else, something that could measure more directly on a surface. But I guess the lm35 will be ok :) thanks for the help!

There are thermocouples designed for surface temperature measurement but building around using a thermocouple gets much more complicated than using a LM35. Since you are looking to measure a delta temperature between two surface points and in the interest of keeping it simple to build a LM35 is a pretty viable solution. There are also hand held off the shelf solutions like the Omega 506R which will do exactly what you want but they carry a price tag. I assume you want an inexpensive solution?

Ron

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back