Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello. I have a need for a circuit that is a bit off the beaten path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gary

He needs about 1200 Amps?

I need a solid state way to draw a current of 6-12 volts at approximately 1,000 to 1,200 amperes. I have been using a bank of 10 automobile batteries for the chore, but the cycle time and breakdown on these has been pretty much an indication that there has to be a better way to do business. Any ideas?

Ron

Like I said earler. You rewire a 15KW transformer so the full wave bridge rectifier makes 12 VDC

You linked to a small 200 amp welding unit in Ebay, which is what confused me.

Ron

Welders are a cheap source of transformers they come in lots of sizes and you can connect transformers in parallel to get higher current.

I never knew you could connect any same voltage/current transformer in parallel?

even say 2 x 9v transformers which are totally separate? just parallel them into a bridge rectifier?

This will work too. This company sells 12 VDC 55 amp battery chargers by the truck load for only a few dollars each. Here is one for .99 cents. If you need 1200 amps you need to buy 22 battery chargers.

**broken link removed**

Welders are a cheap source of transformers they come in lots of sizes and you can connect transformers in parallel to get higher current.

Understand, the light finally came on. Rather than 10 batteries stack a bunch of small welding power supplies. Now it makes sense. :)

Thanks
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back