Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! 16lLED Sequencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static1701

Hello,

I am trying to build a 16 LED Sequencer that can be cascaded to 9 more 16 LED sequencers. I tried using a 4017, connecting the 12th pin from the first one to the 14th pin of the second 4017 but what it would do is light each led in order up to 10, then light the first led of the second 4017 but at the same time, it would start counting from the first led on the first 4017, advancing the leds on the second 4017 each time it hit 10 on the first.

What I need to do is make 16 led's sequence, then drop down and start another 16 sequence and so on. The clock signal will come from a beat box. I tried this with the 4017 because some times I might only want a 5 beat and I would then need it to count to five, drop down to the next line and so forth. I can get the 4017 to limit the count, but it will not allow me to count past 10 with out resetting. I don't think the 4017 is waht I am looking for.

I also tried the following:

Expandable 16 Stage LED Sequencer

The circuit below uses a hex Schmitt Trigger inverter (74HC14) and two 8 bit Serial-In/Parallel-Out shift registers (74HCT164 or 74HC164) to sequence 16 LEDs. The circuit can be expanded to greater lengths by cascading additional shift registers and connecting the 8th output (pin 13) to the data input (pin 1) of the succeeding stage. A Schmitt trigger oscillator (74HC14 pin 1 and 2) produces the clock signal for the shift registers, the rate being approximately 1/RC. Two additional Schmitt Trigger stages are used to reset and load the registers when power is turned on. Timing is not critical, however the output at pin 8 of the Schmitt Trigger must remain high during the first LOW to HIGH clock transition at pin 8 of the registers, and must return low before the second rising edge to load a single bit. If the clock rate is increased, the length of the signal at pin 9 of the Schmitt Trigger should be reduced proportionally to avoid loading more than one bit. The HCT devices will normally provide about 4 mA (source or sink) from each output but can supply greater currents (possibly 25 mA) if only one output is loaded. The common 150 ohm resistor restricts the current below 25 mA using a 6 volt power source. If the circuit is operated with two or more LEDs on at the same time, resistors may be needed in series with each LED to avoid exceeding the maximum total output current for each IC of 25 mA. For greater brightness, individual buffer transistors can be used as shown in the 10 stage LED sequencer on this same page.

I could not get this to work at all. No sequence or anything.
I hope I explained what I am trying to do. Basically I need to be able to count past 10 up to 16 then keep cascading for up to 100 or so with something that requires a clock signal (I will use a beat box for the clock signal) For testing, I was just using a 555.

Thanks, Static1701

Look at Fig. 7 in this data sheet
**broken link removed**

I figured it out

Thanks for the link, I found a a page that had something just like that posted. I just set it up on the proto board and it is what I was looking for. So a 4017 works just fine, you just can't use all 10 outputs when you cascade it.

Static1701

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back