Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: Does Anyone Help Me To Make This Lantern Fly,but With Electronic Circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you like to have a flying fire fall on your dry cedar roof? Or thatched roof? Or land on your head?

The wind might blow it into your house through an open window.

Call the fire department!

mosnfady, it's already been said, you can not generate enough heat that way, not practically. Even a simple tea light candle puts off more power as heat than the most sophisticated electronics device can pack into the same space/weight

Nichrome wire???

How are you going to light nichrome wire on fire? With a big and heavy car battery? In a hot air balloon?

just use a little battery to heat the wire and run a led for light. well i don't know, how big is he planning on making this thing?

audioguru said:
How would you like to have a flying fire fall on your dry cedar roof? Or thatched roof? Or land on your head?

The wind might blow it into your house through an open window.

Call the fire department!

Surely the most likely thing to happen is the thing catches fire, and falls back to earth, depending on the size, height from which it falls, and construction material I think the likely thing would be for the paper to burn up by the time it reaches the ground, given that if you're using something like rice paper it will fall at a slow rate, and the heat source, i.e. tea light candle, to have been extinguished by the fall.

A good coat of Flamebar S1WA2 on the paper for added safety, the only thing you have to worry about is the candle then.

j.p.bill said:
If you have a dry cleaner's plastic bag, you can make a fun device. Make a holder for a birthday candle with a couple of popsickle sticks. Tape it so the bag is over the candle (done while lit), and release it on a very calm summer night. Expect UFO sightings.
Way to much weight and material. I use to build them using a cotton ball soaked in alcohol and the frame was 2 sheets of notebook paper folded back and forth on itself (corrugated) then taped at center to make a criss-cross. The alcohol cotton ball was held in the center of it all using a twistie tie from a garbage bag or bread bag. The cleaner's bag weight more that all the other items combined. Ascended quite high and all that was left to do was pray that it didn't land on someone's dry, parched shingles!! What a traffic stopper!!!:D

You could try using a hair dryer or an electric paint stripper to fill a bag with hot air. I have managed to send supermarket plastic bags over the roof of my house.

I tend to agree with those who say that batteries won't supply sufficient heat to create required lift in a balloon.
If you are determined to get aloft on self contained electric power then you'll have to look at model planes.

If you can't use planes at your location then its probably not a great idea to lauch free-flying balloons. A tethered balloon could be fed power from the ground.

A helium filled balloon with some lithium cell powered leds attached may work, but rather expensive if you can't retreive it.

Last edited:
CheapSlider said:
You could try using a hair dryer or an electric paint stripper to fill a bag with hot air. I have managed to send supermarket plastic bags over the roof of my house.
The problem there is the hot air is actually luke warm and doesn't remain aloft long enough. A continuous heating of the trapped air keeps the UFO (Upon Fire Object!) in flight, provided it's not overly windy. Mine use to travel for blocks. I remember as a high school/college student running down the streets chasing the darn thing, taking notice of motorists and residents gawking up at the twilight sky!!!! It was more fun than a bong full of reefer buds! ;) :D

In World War 2 the Japanese launched helium (hydrogen?) balloons with a bomb as a payload. They had a contraption to release some gas if it flew too high and it dropped weights if it flew too low. A few actually made it all the way to USA and Canada where they blew up but caused no damage. The flight took nearly a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back