Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help figuring out

Status
Not open for further replies.

krzykrl96

i am in need of help building a custom sequential turn signal module for my rear taillights. i had an electronics class in high school 4 years ago, and have also done a lot of wiring on my car. my problem is i have 6 bulbs (3 on each side) in the back, they are the 3157 size bulbs but they are led bulbs and are made by jamstrait.com. what i was hoping to get was a schematics and a parts list so that i could make this myself (everything done to car is done by me). the 3 lights need to sequence and stay on then repeat, each sequence should take 1 sec. any help would be appreciated
thanks
karl

Sounds like the taillights on an old T-Bird. You could use a 555 timer (oscillator), a 4017 decade counter (sequencer) and ULN2003 darlington arrays (LED drivers). If you can't sink enough current thru the ULN2003's, you could use power transistors to drive your LEDs.
Here's a link to the ULN2003 data: **broken link removed**

i only have 3 3157 bulbs on eaither side and the 3157 bulbs are made up of leds. so i really just need a diagram of how to light up the 3 3157 bulbs
thanks
karl

ok now i was just wondering is it ok to use a 50 v capacitor instead of a 35 v capacitor because i can't find a 0.47uf 35v electrolytic capacitor anywhere?
thanks
karl

krzykrl96 said:
ok now i was just wondering is it ok to use a 50 v capacitor instead of a 35 v capacitor because i can't find a 0.47uf 35v electrolytic capacitor anywhere?
thanks
karl

Yes that's fine, in fact higher voltage capacitors are usually better than lower voltage ones, they have a lower ESR.

should i leave the 47uf a 35v or should i change that one to a 50v also. do the v on different cpacitors have to match?
thanks
karl

ok i cannot find 26 awg solid core hook-up wire with kynar insulation anywhere. is the kynar something special or can i just use some hook-up wire i find at a radio shack or on digikey.com? sorry for all these stupid questions, just want to do it right.
thanks
karl

what is so special about kynar, could i use 22 ga hook-up wire with pvc ins for this? that 30 ga looks way to small, theres like nothing there.
thanks
karl

It will all become apparent when you try to get multiple wires on adjoining pins on a ic socket.. 22 ga will work fine, but it's so big you'll have trouble finding room for it all.. Radio shack also makes a wire wrap tool that has a stripper in the handle, run the wire up in the slot and pull it sideways to strip... I've used both 22 and 30 ga and the 30 is by far easier to manipulate... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back