HELP ME BUILD A GPS receiver PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

z24

HI EVERYBODY,

IAM A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT WHOS GOT A MODERATE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ELECTRONICS. IAM LOOKING FOR SCHEMATICS/DIAGRAMS TO BUILD A GPS RECEIVER AND A GOOD SOFTWARE TO BE USED WITH A LAPTOP (SOFTWARE HAS TO COVER CANADA OR AT LEAST ONTARIO)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

z24 said:
ANYBODY ? :?

Well you don't wait very long!.

You can buy GPS modules which you can use to build your own receiver system, building a GPS receiver from scratch isn't a practical proposition.

There are various software pacakges available, including MicroSoft Autoroute - I presume packages for Canada are available?.

yes, go on ebay and you can find cheap USB or serial GPS receivers for a very low cost. even if you had the knowledge and the resources to build your own, there is no way you could do it more cheaply than just buying one. Not to mention it would probably take a ridiculously long time and a lot of effort.

Something an experienced engineer always used to remind me of is "don't reinvent the wheel"

You mentioned Ontario, so here is a link to Radio World in Toronto:

https://www.radioworld.ca/

They cover Amateur radio equipment, and everything related, they know their stuff, nice people, and if they don't have what you need will very probably be able to point you in the right direction.

evandude said:
yes, go on ebay and you can find cheap USB or serial GPS receivers for a very low cost.

Can you please give me an example of what do you mean by usb GPS receiver?

Also,
Nigel Goodwin said:
You can buy GPS modules which you can use to build your own receiver system
where can you buy those and do you know approximately the price range for simple applications? I am interested in this topic as well.
By modules, do you mean small compenents or the actual ready solution.. I mean is there any hands-on work to do on them ?

Thank you

I've never used them, but many members here have, and one was selling some off cheap a few weeks ago.

Basically, as I understand it, the modules comprise all the GPS part - which is unlikely to be able to be built at home - you just need to build the interface and control system, which requires computers or micro-controllers. I seem to recall it's just a simple serial interface that they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…